5 day camp out /fishing trip

Back from our annual camping trip , fishing was amazing , higher water levels made a huge difference on this lake . Despite the crazy weather all the gear held up perfectly. Snagged a Marmot Limestone tent a few years back on clearance and it really hadn’t been tested with weather yet , passed with flying colors and kept us dry all week ! Another surprise was how well the a Walmart “lifetime” cooler performed on our trip , absolutely destroyed the YETI we bring as well and is a fraction of the price .

Area we camp at every year is boat access only, previous years I’d carefully glide my Lund up on to the shoreline while losing my mind hearing the scratching on the red hull, no worries about that with the G3 outfitter , couple scratches on her actually suit it lol.

Fishing was great , tons of decent smallies, and a bunch of walleye and pike with a few fallfish . Smoke colored red flick tubes produced best with perch colored jerk baits  a close second .  Walleye came on mostly 1/4 oz jig heads tipped with shiners the kids netted through out the day . Typical walleye bite was fast and furious for 45min before sunset , through out the day I’d mark them off structure in 30’-40’ though and we got a few spot locking the trolling motor  right over top of them . Would of loved to fish them like this for longer but with no power sources had to baby the batteries , Anyone run a small Honda generator to charge their boat? That may be the next purchase . No other sites anywhere near ours so noise won’t be an issue .

Here’s a few pics from the trip 

91DB585A-798E-4E1F-8421-5F1C4B75BDC6.jpeg

95C0A784-5BB5-4038-9EC1-C091DB353D1B.jpeg

35264CEB-B972-4909-A01B-154CDDEEEF42.jpeg

61F5A879-2AE7-4EA0-84C1-4FDDB496F945.jpeg

50F91452-0309-4287-98CE-910ABC477F50.jpeg

FE900486-F130-48D0-B7EB-11151871ADF1.jpeg

83594DA7-B067-46EA-BABE-E03846E8DD79.jpeg

• Like 3

Anyone run a small Honda generator to charge their boat? That may be the next purchase . No other sites anywhere near ours so noise won’t be an issue .

You could use the smallest Honda 1K EU to run a 10 amp battery charger with no effort.

11 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Anyone run a small Honda generator to charge their boat? That may be the next purchase . No other sites anywhere near ours so noise won’t be an issue .

You could use the smallest Honda 1K EU to run a 10 amp battery charger with no effort.

Yup, an it will also run lights at night, and charge any other devices. I'd get a 2200 if it fits the budget. Such a handy unit to have, and will run a lot of things, for very little fuel. They are an amazing piece of kit, not just on camping trips. 

S. 

• Like 1

Nice!!!   I use a 1000W Yamaha genny and hook it up to my onboard charger in the boat at night.  It's so quiet you can barely even hear it.   I start it before I go to bed and let it run out of gas.   Charges up the batteries no problem.  

we recently ran a honda Eu 2200 generator on a trip into crown land. The thing was amazing. The eco mode kept the lights on and the radio playing, we then were able to easily crank it up when we needed power to charge batteries etc. Thing hummed so quietly we put it an extension cord's length into the bush and you wouldnt even know it was there. Very very impressive and the thing seemingly weighed nothing. Hauling the one jerry can of gas we used for it to run when we were at camp for 4 days was way worse then hauling the genny.

Kids making memories for sure. Awesome.

Edited by AKRISONER

Looks like an awesome trip. Awesome memories.

We have a cheap champion ( the tiny one)   it's not quiet but runns our onboard 20 amp. No issues for a few hours a night to keep it topped up when camping.  Have a 100ft extension cord so put the genny off in the woods to keep noise down.  Want a Honda but can't bite the bullet.

Edited by Freshtrax

On 7/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, Rizzo said:

That is some quality time right there. Sorry no opinion on the generator. When we go, when the trolling motor dies we fish a different way (usually bring a couple spare batteries though!)

2 spare batteries are heavier than a honda 1000 lol......just a fair bit less expensive. Some of the units have a 12V dc circuit you can charge with as well. 

S. 

24 minutes ago, Sinker said:

2 spare batteries are heavier than a honda 1000 lol......just a fair bit less expensive. Some of the units have a 12V dc circuit you can charge with as well. 

S. 

considering I have my buddy not only provide the batteries, but also carry them, neither the cost or the weight is a factor for me!

• Like 1