Tornado warning issued across the Kawarthas

I'm dead center on the line between Peterboro and Apsley  and can hear lotsa thunder but it's north of us....so far. Got some wind happening and light rain but I think we'll be OK here.

It started at Mapleview and Essa Rd. Crazy winds that had trees swirling like hula dancers, trees also up rooted from the ground  . Gas stations had all their supplies all over the place. Hewitt fruits and veggie  stand destroyed.  That was before the tornado even formed. I seen a few of their baskets at the bank, 1 mile down the road.

20210715_151722.jpg.8eb46c111e41d2c5d7c393759cb92eb8.jpg

30 minutes ago, lew said:

Everything OK where you are Brian ?

All good here Lew. We have had our share of storms that could of been worse. Feel for the people that lost everything.  

Strange thing is the alert came and there was only minutes til it happen.

3 minutes ago, misfish said:

We have had our share of storms

I hear you there Brian, my sump normally only runs in March & April during the snow melt and never comes on any other time but it's come on 3 times now in the last couple of weeks with the crazy weather and intense rain we've been getting.

This pic is yesterday's rain and you can hardly see the back of my property.

IMG_0271.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, misfish said:

All good here Lew. We have had our share of storms that could of been worse. Feel for the people that lost everything.  

I heard there was very little official warning but that an amateur storm watcher had eyes on it well before it hit.  Environment Canada dropped the ball on this one and thankfully no one was killed..

10 hours ago, misfish said:

Glad you guys are ok. I’ve seen one and it missed us. keep well. Feel for the ones who lost their homes. You never know if and when.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:57 AM, lew said:

I hear you there Brian, my sump normally only runs in March & April during the snow melt and never comes on any other time but it's come on 3 times now in the last couple of weeks with the crazy weather and intense rain we've been getting.

This pic is yesterday's rain and you can hardly see the back of my property.

IMG_0271.JPG

Crazy amounts of rain here too Lew, like 15-20 inches in the last 30 days.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, pics said:

I heard there was very little official warning but that an amateur storm watcher had eyes on it well before it hit.  Environment Canada dropped the ball on this one and thankfully no one was killed..

dont be so critical....im a weather nut and I was following that forecast Thursday morning. 10am I read a report published by the weather network showing the main convection and wind sheer points indicating the specific tornado threat for Thursday afternoon. I then sent a text to both my brother and a good friend of mine who was camping at Earle Rowe Provincial Park warning him of the threat that afternoon, and to ensure he had his head on a swivel for inclement weather so that they would not get caught out hiking or at the beach when the severe weather inevitably arrived. The map provided by the weather network clearly showed wha areas of Southern Ontario had the most "tornado potential" and wouldnt you know it, the tornado ended up hitting dead in the middle of the area they indicated had one of the highest threats.

I think environment Canada could have definitely issued a "tornado watch" earlier in the day, however the super cells that formed didnt start rotating until they were already established and moving at 50kmh. By that point they had already issued the tornado warning and sure enough it hit and caused damage.

Its difficult for them to provide any more warning than they already did considering the storm popped up out of nowhere and then produced a tornado within half an hour of the storm not even existing anywhere on the radar. 

As much as the weather people get hated on, id say their ability to predict that happening 6 hours before is actually pretty impressive. To ask them to pinpoint the exact location is ridiculous, but they painted a reasonably narrow area and were bang on with their prediction.

• Like 1

We got clobbered by another vicious storm yesterday which was probably worse than the one last week. Nothing like what Barrie went thru of course but that's ...I think...the 4th bad storm in a couple weeks.

My wife cooked up a beautiful roast beef dinner and while I was slicing it the thunder started rolling and as we sat down at the table on the back deck there was probably the loudest bang I've ever heard as the lightening flashed overhead, the  wind started howling and within seconds the food was getting saturated as we tried to get everything back in the house.

Woke up this morning and there's 2 large trees down nearby plus smaller ones on the ground everywhere. Crazy thing though as it was beautiful here all day and even when the storm hit the sky didn't look that bad.

It was all good though as the roast beef dinner was fantastic even though a bit wet  LOL

• Like 4