Arghh! New Boat.....Trolling Motor not starting up.

bigcreekdad

Just picked up a very nice looking Crestliner Pro 1650 Tiller on Friday. Towed up to my cabin today, and I'm loading it with my gear. Decided to check the trolling motor and get nothing. It's a Motor Guide IX5 with GPS control. Wiring to battery looks good, battery is fully charged, but nothing. There are 4 indicator lights on the motor which should have lit ups when it has juice.

Of course, the dealer is 3 hours away, and was of no help over the phone (understandably with seeing everything). They had me try a couple things but nada.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Some progress. Changed fuse, and hooked up battery ....no go. I was doing this with the motor still in the non lowered position. I decided to Lower it just to see how easy it was and voila ...two of the indicator lights came on, so battery was effectively powered to motor. The other two lights had to do with synching to wireless foot pedal. That was the next step....pushed the required button(s) on the pedal; to no effect. I did check to see if there were batteries in the pedal....there were. So, one step forward, but not far enough to get things working.

6 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

Just picked up a very nice looking Crestliner Pro 1650 Tiller on Friday. Towed up to my cabin today, and I'm loading it with my gear. Decided to check the trolling motor and get nothing. It's a Motor Guide IX5 with GPS control. Wiring to battery looks good, battery is fully charged, but nothing. There are 4 indicator lights on the motor which should have lit ups when it has juice.

Of course, the dealer is 3 hours away, and was of no help over the phone (understandably with seeing everything). They had me try a couple things but nada.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It has to be vertical to turn on.  I have an Xi5.  When I lift it out of the water, all the lights turn off.

• Thanks 1

My buddy has an IX5 and it definitely doesn't need to be deployed to work.  We had to change out the batteries the other day and when the new ones were in, we tested it with the motor up on the deck.  It looked like you could lose a finger if you weren't careful.  Good luck bigcreekdad.  It will be a sweet unit once you get it sorted out.    

12 minutes ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

My buddy has an IX5 and it definitely doesn't need to be deployed to work.  We had to change out the batteries the other day and when the new ones were in, we tested it with the motor up on the deck.  It looked like you could lose a finger if you weren't careful.  Good luck bigcreekdad.  It will be a sweet unit once you get it sorted out.    

I own an Xi5. Yes it does have to be deployed 

2CC4E093-2E71-4648-8088-CC6DF41CD8A3.jpeg

Edited by Old Man

19 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Mine does.  Perhaps it depends on the year.

I have the same trolling motor and I like it even though it can be quirky on occasion.  My handheld remote works well but the foot pedal has to be synced because it doesn't work currently..

not to "hate" on your purchase at all, i really hope its works out for you...but man do I hear a lot of bad stuff about motorguides. Its a shame whats happening to these companies. Same goes for Minkotta lately. Long gone seemingly are the days of these things lasting 20 years.

Finally...success! Found a short you tube video by "the Weekend Angler" that showed the process, and sequence (very important) pretty clearly for both footpedal and remote. After viewing it one more time over a cup of coffee, I decided to try again. I started with the foot pedal in the recommended sequence and...still nada. On a hunch I changed from the preloaded batteries and repeated sequence....voila! Next, the remote. It didn't work. Decided to change batteries in this. Voila again! Hopefully that is the end of my problems.

Thoughts:

1) Why didn't the dealer include the instructions?

2) Why put batteries in units before they are going to be used.

3) Obviously, the dealer was wrong when he said service tech ran the motor in prep.

One final comment. This unit is a whine to get back into horizontal position. At least for someone in their 70's. Any Ix5 users out there experience this?

Edited by bigcreekdad

To The OP!

👍

Glad you got it working.

This is no excuse for your dealer; but a friend of mine that works at a dealership. Says they are so busy selling; that service can't keep up with PDI (Pre Delivery Inspections) They just hope crap works, as the manufacturer advertised? Like I said no excuse; but even though frustrating, it was an easy fix. Go and enjoy your rig!!!!

Dan.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

One final comment. This unit is a whine to get back into horizontal position. At least for someone in their 70's. Any Ix5 users out there experience this?

It's not has convenient as the old cable drives with a pull rope (Well, until the rope breaks).  But I don't find it to be too much of an issue.  Perhaps using a rope with a loop on the end will help lift it.

Edited by John Bacon

44 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

It's not has convenient as the old cable drives with a pull rope (Well, until the rope breaks).  But I don't find it to be too much of an issue.  Perhaps using a rope with a loop on the end will help lift it.

This is why Garmin put a two gas shock system in the force. One for up one for down.

Edited by AKRISONER