Jump to content

I shoulda waited a bit


Recommended Posts

I posted here a couple months back that I was replacing the floor on my back deck. Lumber prices were sky-hi but I wanted to get the job done and who knew when or if the the prices would ever come down.

I was looking at the prices of wood this morning and darned if the prices haven't dropped about 1/3.

If I'd waited till now to buy the wood I'd have saved about $800

Oh well  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well you got the job done when you wanted to.  Funny you mentioned I just looked this morning and 2x8 x12 pressure treat is down to $35 a board.  I need 4 for a backyard project as 2 weeks ago they where $46 a board.  I don’t need to do the job so I’m going to hang in until September and see what happens.  It allows me to be two of my favourite things with household projects.  Frugal and lazy lol.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Well you got the job done when you wanted to.  

Yup, I did what I wanted to do as I figured the price of lumber could just as easily continued to go up rather than down.

Just a coin toss that I lost  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, lew said:

I posted here a couple months back that I was replacing the floor on my back deck. Lumber prices were sky-hi but I wanted to get the job done and who knew when or if the the prices would ever come down.

I was looking at the prices of wood this morning and darned if the prices haven't dropped about 1/3.

If I'd waited till now to buy the wood I'd have saved about $800

Oh well  LOL

Ha, funny you mentioned that Lew, just talking to a fellow down the road building a house, said the same, it's dropped about 30% and will continue downwards for a while yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Me too Lew.  $1500 for everything here.  Maybe a $1000 now.

4095B5A2-FD62-42B8-8360-4160F086D559.jpeg

I Like I said to Lew; If you're happy with it; you're ahead of the game. It looks assume and something to be proud of!

By the way if you're in Waterford, you're not far from where I was born and raised. Born at Simcoe General Hospital and raised on a tabacco farm, 3 farms west of Turkey Point Rd. My Dad moved us up to the London area in 1972; to grow tobacco just outside of Delaware. I never lost my connection with Norfolk County. 24 years ago I went and put a weekend trailer down in Normandale @ Hidden Valley Camp Ground. I still go every weekend and enjoy every minute that I'm there. Close to the Lake and all my childhood memories of riding my bike down to Turkey Point, with my school buddies for a day of screwing around on the beach and fishing off the marina's channels. 

Sorry; but when I finally noticed you're avatar; it sent a thousand memories through me,  

Thanks.

Dan.

PS: Lew I like your deck as well! LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Me too Lew.  $1500 for everything here.  Maybe a $1000 now.

4095B5A2-FD62-42B8-8360-4160F086D559.jpeg

Your deck looks real good and sometimes it's worth it to bite the bullet and do what we want rather than wait for a price drop that may never come.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So true guys.  Been putting it off for a couple of years now.  Glad it’s done and now I can plan next years project. Dan, Norfolk is very nice, but unfortunately there’s so many subdivision being built now especially around Waterford.  One is soon to start right beside us.  Once it’s built that country feeling will be long gone.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were planning on a major reno at the cottage this year but put that on hold due to material costs.  We are now thinking of selling due to the high market demand.  We have now had four calls from RE agents stating they had individual cash buyers looking for waterfront cottages in the Bay of Quinte region.  They are throwing some very tempting numbers around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, Crimsongulf said:

We were planning on a major reno at the cottage this year but put that on hold due to material costs.  We are now thinking of selling due to the high market demand.  We have now had four calls from RE agents stating they had individual cash buyers looking for waterfront cottages in the Bay of Quinte region.  They are throwing some very tempting numbers around.

Yea, real estate is crazy. Don't forget if you sell, and plan to buy something else, you also have to pay those prices. 

S. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are lucky. I have this neighbor with who I'm not really on good terms at the moment. The guy always rubbed me the wrong way, but he pushed me into the redline last year in the middle of the lumber bubble. We live house by house, however, our houses are sitting at the opposite ends of our lots. Right dead smack in the middle, on his land, was this massive pine tree. 

 

It's the middle of the pandemic craze and I guess this guy got cabin fever because one day he comes out with a chainsaw hell-bent on taking down that tree. Mind you, this is a guy who never fell a tree before. 

 

Guess where that tree fell? That's right, on my deck. There was barely anything left. I'm lucky it missed the house but only barely since that deck was literally leading to my front door. Guess who had to rebuild his deck with lumber costing an arm and a leg? That's right, me. Honestly, I wish I was one of these people https://www.nodepositworld.com/features/biggest-jackpot-wins-on-land-and-online/ because at least that way I could get over the feeling I had when our insurance told us we were SoL on for the damages. I took him to small claims court, but the guy has nothing. I'm garnishing his pension and it looks like I'll be taking the hit on this one.

Edited by Julie90
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Julie90 said:

You guys are lucky. I have this neighbor with who I'm not really on good terms at the moment. The guy always rubbed me the wrong way, but he pushed me into the redline last year in the middle of the lumber bubble. We live house by house, however, our houses are sitting at the opposite ends of our lots. Right dead smack in the middle, on his land, was this massive pine tree. 

 

It's the middle of the pandemic craze and I guess this guy got cabin fever because one day he comes out with a chainsaw hell-bent on taking down that tree. Mind you, this is a guy who never fell a tree before. 

 

Guess where that tree fell? That's right, on my deck. There was barely anything left. I'm lucky it missed the house but only barely since that deck was literally leading to my front door. Guess who had to rebuild his deck with lumber costing an arm and a leg? That's right, me. Honestly, I wish I was one of these people https://www.nodepositworld.com/features/biggest-jackpot-wins-on-land-and-online/ because at least that way I could get over the feeling I had when our insurance told us we were SoL on for the damages. I took him to small claims court, but the guy has nothing. I'm garnishing his pension and it looks like I'll be taking the hit on this one.

I don't understand why your insurance wouldn't cover it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

 

I don't understand why your insurance wouldn't cover it?

If the tree had fallen on its own (act of god) yes, but the cowboy did it, no! 
Happened to is many years ago lost a garage, FINNALY his insurance paid for it, they put it down as wind damage, dead tree.  . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...