Worm pickin’ refresher

captpierre

Got a bunch of grandkids coming up to the lake in the next month or 2.  Need a bunch of dew worms. Thought after all the rain there would be tons to pick at 10 pm. Hardly any. Tried again at 11. Better but not great. 

Anybody have any tips? I hear putting diluted lemon scented dish soap on the lawn and watering in helps. 

120 works better,  tape the black wire(small opening in a receptacle, big one is white, neutral) to a metal rod about a foot long and insert into damp ground.  Now don't be a fool and try and lick the rod.  Dad used to do it quite often to feed the fish in the pond. 

If you have any black walnuts around break a couple up and put in a few gallons of water. Let it sit for a bit then saturate the ground. It will drive the worms to the surface for easy picking, just make sure to have some fresh water in a pail to rinse them off first.

• Like 1

hmmm...I just do the 10 pm thing, never needed any more than darkness and a bit of moisture on the ground to fill up a few containers. Good luck and hopefully one of these gimmicks pays off! Sometimes I backwash the pool onto the lawn then I catch a few dozen mid day!

$6 a dozen...That's $0.50 each worm...Cripes !  eggs don't cost that much (yet)...

When worms cost $3 I switched to tiny tubes for the kids...They were just as happy and not so many "ews and yucks" and tubes worked well for panfish and the odd bass...

The young lady in the first pictures liked fishing so much she asked Santa for a rod and reel for Christmas !

1560251831_VictoriaFishingDay1005.jpg.40f0320de3c5ff95e8e8e277a419e83b.jpg

Victoria Fishing Day 2 001.jpg

YUCK! 31 july 2004 003.jpg

YUCK! 31 july 2004 006_edited.jpg

Edited by Beans
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

At about $6.00 a dozen best advice I can give you is pick as many as you can 

I just saw that price quoted on another post somewhere.... who is selling worms for $6 a dozen?  I’ve seen them for $3 a doz but $6??? That price is madness.  I just bought 4 dozen for $10 at the variety store in Field the other day.

Too late to help now, but I thought I'd post to maybe help someone in the future.  For years now I have just went out in the morning after a rain in the spring and collected them off the roads before the birds and the traffic get them.  I then pick moss growing in my backyard and mix it in a bowl with cornmeal for the worms to eat. I have 2 large  peanut butter jars and fill them with the moss/cornmeal mixture. I put 5 dozen worms in each jar and the jars with small air holes punched in the lids go in the fridge. I check every couple of weeks and if needed I add new moss or more water for moisture or more cornmeal for food.  I have these in my fridge at home and the cottage from the end of April until October and  have not bought any worms from anyone for years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, porkpie said:

I just saw that price quoted on another post somewhere.... who is selling worms for $6 a dozen?  I’ve seen them for $3 a doz but $6??? That price is madness.  I just bought 4 dozen for $10 at the variety store in Field the other day.

The bait shop in Point Au Baril was  $10.00/2 doz last week or $6.00 for 1

• Sad 2