Killbear Provincial fishing

UpliftAura

If you're fishing KillBear be aware of the lake trout sanctuary :)   Or just don't fish lake trout at all.    Should be prime time bass fishing on the shoals though with the water temps.     Fishing around there can be lights out, but you've gotta put your time in. 

2 minutes ago, BillM said:

If you're fishing KillBear be aware of the lake trout sanctuary :)   Or just don't fish lake trout at all.    Should be prime time bass fishing on the shoals though with the water temps.     Fishing around there can be lights out, but you've gotta put your time in. 

Alright thanks! I wasn’t planning on trout fishing so that shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

• Like 1

From Killbear, you can boat following the channel north towards snug harbour area.  Sheltered boating, as you aren't on the main bay.  follow channel north to cormican bay area outflow,  dynamite bay to the south for pike, smallmouth at both bay outflows.  Caught lakers smallies and Pike in that area.   Largest was a 39" Northern on an ultralight.   Didn't find any walleye, and also didn't go onto the main bay.   You can keep a laker from waters n of snug harbour lighthouse I believe.  We've fished this area for about 20 years now. Wifey pulled a 12.5 lb natural laker there at May walleye opener weekend, cpl years ago.   Hydrographic charts are my go to.  Don't have a phone or advanced electronics, just a comapass and ruler, the charts are excellent, although some of the shorline lineup sign aids have been removed, be careful.

4 hours ago, UpliftAura said:

What is dead water? I’ve heard that term before but not sure what it means.

Fish relate to many factors and finding two or more of them will be considered productive water meaning there are fish there to catch if they are feeding. Dead water is where you have one or less factors and no fish are in the area. It could be no structure, wrong temperature, no weed lines, or other factors. Every place and species have their preference as to where they are comfortable. 

Art

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OMCDinosaur said:

From Killbear, you can boat following the channel north towards snug harbour area.  Sheltered boating, as you aren't on the main bay.  follow channel north to cormican bay area outflow,  dynamite bay to the south for pike, smallmouth at both bay outflows.  Caught lakers smallies and Pike in that area.   Largest was a 39" Northern on an ultralight.   Didn't find any walleye, and also didn't go onto the main bay.   You can keep a laker from waters n of snug harbour lighthouse I believe.  We've fished this area for about 20 years now. Wifey pulled a 12.5 lb natural laker there at May walleye opener weekend, cpl years ago.   Hydrographic charts are my go to.  Don't have a phone or advanced electronics, just a comapass and ruler, the charts are excellent, although some of the shorline lineup sign aids have been removed, be careful.

Alright that’s awesome thanks for the tips

8 hours ago, UpliftAura said:

What is dead water? I’ve heard that term before but not sure what it means.

Exactly, and even then sometimes you will see areas that seemingly should be holding fish, but alas, you fish it and get skunked. I’ve learned on g bay, if you aren’t getting bit, keep moving. When you find fish, fish the area well.

• Like 1