GTA Salmon-best timing.

captpierre

Hey Gents.   Been 10 years since I’ve had the boat on   Lake O for salmon.  She’s been confined to Pigeon Lake since we bought the cottage.  It will be a big effort to pull her out and take her down  to Bluffers or Whitby.  Trying to figure out timing for best odds for success. As I recall first half of July was best. Not a derby guy. Just need to feel the weight of a 25 lb King.  Have been watching North Shore Spoonpullers. They are catching but seems not many. Any ideas?                 

14 minutes ago, Garnet said:

The salmon guys I know are on water at 5am and it's crazy until 9.

Steady stream of salmon boats going by my house so timing is now.

Thanks Garnet. 

Whats crazy till 9. The boat traffic or the bite?

Early to the point that going home at 9 am seems like a long day. They bite from the time you see a sliver of horizon , about 4;55 am these days till about 6 or 6:30. Then the search is on and you might get another bite. This is usually when the pro's go out to the blue zone and con their customers into thinking that rainbows on trolling gear counts as a fish and should be counted as part of a successful day on the water when referring to the trip.

Did I say early? 

• 2 weeks later...

My Personel choice although i like the morning is couple hours before dusk when the sun is going down and it looks like the buildings are on fire in toronto (that of course is from a bronte perspective i use to go right to 75 feet and 45 down badda bing badda boom 

• Like 1

If you want mature fish and aren’t concerned about big silvers, the level best time is the last 2 weeks of August/ first week of September  in front of rivermouths anywhere from 20fow to 120fow. Here’s a tip, at that time of year, the hooks you see hugging bottom aren’t always carp.  If you want to be a salmon fisherman, set your alarm for 2am and be Setting lines by 430-5am. Your success will double if not triple.  This is a direct result of water clarity and no doubt zebra muscles.   Guys leaving the launch at 7:30am have missed the best fishing and should perhaps consider bass fishing as a hobby!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

Late August /early September and out of a power boat 50 feet of water and a little deeper (they will usually show themselves on the surface or you can see them on your scope) but using planer boards not down riggers. We used to run Mag Wiggle Warts and Deep Diving Thundersticks. Lots of better choices these days. They will come up for them. Fishfull Thinking fishing show will show lots of other techniques to really get to the bottom if you don't mind losing gear. Hint downriggers AND Jet Divers then you only lose the Jet Diver but you will lose them sure as shooting.