Rain gear recommendations

msp

After this years bass opener with four straight days of rain I quickly realized both sets of my rain gear are pooched. Looking for recommendations on good quality rain gear that will last a long time. Not sure how much I am willing to spend but will start saving now for next year. Let me know what you guys recommend 

Cabela's Guidewear here.   Not cheap, but it pays for itself the first time you're out in a torrential downpour and you don't get wet.   I also layer underneath it when muskie fishing in the fall.   Awesome stuff.

whatever you do, dont touch anything that isnt actual goretex. It really just isnt the same.

Also read up on keeping your goretex clean and treated. I didnt realize this was a thing until i read into it a bunch and did it myself. Sure enough it brought a 3 year old coat completely back to life.

Im personally wearing a simms pro goretex set. Love it and can layer underneath. I spent last week also fishing in that torrential rain for 4 straight days and never had a drop of water in any of my stuff.

9 hours ago, BillM said:

Cabela's Guidewear here.   Not cheap, but it pays for itself the first time you're out in a torrential downpour and you don't get wet.   I also layer underneath it when muskie fishing in the fall.   Awesome stuff.

Thanks Bill. Had this recommendation in the past but my buddy said his pooched out after a couple years. The rain goes right through it now. Maybe it’s a maintenance thing ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

whatever you do, dont touch anything that isnt actual goretex. It really just isnt the same.

Also read up on keeping your goretex clean and treated. I didnt realize this was a thing until i read into it a bunch and did it myself. Sure enough it brought a 3 year old coat completely back to life.

Im personally wearing a simms pro goretex set. Love it and can layer underneath. I spent last week also fishing in that torrential rain for 4 straight days and never had a drop of water in any of my stuff.

What is the process ? I have numerous gor tex jackets that leak like crazy. I have a higher end MEC and a north face jacket that are pooched 

I have had my Frogg togg river jacket now for 3 years . I have not one complaint about it . Keeps me dry, even in a down pour I got caught in .I really like the pull string hood with the long beak and the neoprene cuffs . It is the pilot 3 . I do not have the bib,as I wear waders.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/pilot-3-wading-jacket

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

X2. 

I also have Simms raincoat and bib. Challenger series I believe. Quality stuff, bone dry. Kept me dry and warm with layers underneath of course during a rainy fall musky trip. Costs more but after I cheaped out on some sub par stuff and fed up with getting wet I coughed up the dough. 

4 hours ago, msp said:

Thanks Bill. Had this recommendation in the past but my buddy said his pooched out after a couple years. The rain goes right through it now. Maybe it’s a maintenance thing ?

Definitely a maintenance thing.  Need to wash it with Nikwax or similar to restore the waterproofing.   I do it once a year.   Going on 5 years?   Still as good as the day I got it.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/help/product-care

my favourite guide is arcteryx’s 

I also try to do this every year. I was fishing in parry sound last week through those rain warnings, it torrentially rained on me every day for 4 straight days. The rain would break after a downpour and I’d take my gear off and you wouldn’t know I had just stood in a downpour for 2 hours.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, AKRISONER said:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/help/product-care

my favourite guide is arcteryx’s 

I also try to do this every year. I was fishing in parry sound last week through those rain warnings, it torrentially rained on me every day for 4 straight days. The rain would break after a downpour and I’d take my gear off and you wouldn’t know I had just stood in a downpour for 2 hours.

I have their jacket and it is LIGHT and waterproof.  But I don't actually trust it in the woods, where I am getting thorns etc tug at my clothing.  I don't want to tear a really expensive jacket!  In the woods I wear a much older set of Cabela's gear, and it is good stuff but too hot for summer fishing.

My summer weight rain jacket is from MEC, and I had it out in today's rain, in the woods.  I was still dry after a couple hours of steady drizzle, but it was not a serious downpour - when that happens, the MEC jacket gives me a couple hours, tops, before I start getting damp.  Must look into that conditioning stuff.  Old dog, new tricks...........🙄

Doug

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I have their jacket and it is LIGHT and waterproof.  But I don't actually trust it in the woods, where I am getting thorns etc tug at my clothing.  I don't want to tear a really expensive jacket!  In the woods I wear a much older set of Cabela's gear, and it is good stuff but too hot for summer fishing.

My summer weight rain jacket is from MEC, and I had it out in today's rain, in the woods.  I was still dry after a couple hours of steady drizzle, but it was not a serious downpour - when that happens, the MEC jacket gives me a couple hours, tops, before I start getting damp.  Must look into that conditioning stuff.  Old dog, new tricks...........🙄

Doug

the way i see it shag...is you get the stuff to wear it. I quickly realized that by attempting to "save" my good gear and getting wet. Its truthfully so rarely actually rainy while im out fishing all day, maybe 10 or less days per year...i may as well just wear it and deal with the consequences!

I finally broke down and put out the money for the simms gear after trying all the others. Save your money and do it right once. I'd second the BPS. I have only had my simms jacket and bibs for a year, but man, it keeps you REALLY dry. 

S. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

the way i see it shag...is you get the stuff to wear it. I quickly realized that by attempting to "save" my good gear and getting wet. Its truthfully so rarely actually rainy while im out fishing all day, maybe 10 or less days per year...i may as well just wear it and deal with the consequences!

Oh, I wear it fishing and farting around in town, just not hunting or working in the bush.  I don't think it is thornproof or puncture resistant.............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sinker said:

I finally broke down and put out the money for the simms gear after trying all the others. Save your money and do it right once. I'd second the BPS. I have only had my simms jacket and bibs for a year, but man, it keeps you REALLY dry. 

S. 

and I can’t say the same for my fancy cabellas non goretex suit. It just isn’t the same and you eventually always get damp. 

13 hours ago, Sinker said:

S. 

I would of taken you for a seal skin suit guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

30 minutes ago, misfish said:

I would of taken you for a seal skin suit guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

The rain coats we wore in the Navy were called Seal Skins Brian and my Gawd, they were the absolute worst thing I ever wore in my life. They were so stinkin stiff it was all you could do to even bend your arms when wearing them and sitting down was darned near impossible.

No idea who designed them but he shoulda been charged with cruelty to humans LOL

I am a little late to this but I am a big fan of my BPS Pro Qualifier suit - for 2 years I just asked for BPS gift certs for any gift giving occasion and eventually had enough to buy the suit

Only downfall is BPS doesn't seem to make that line anymore - price/insulation wise it was one step below the 100 MPH series

When I bought mine the gentlemen who helped me pushed my towards the lighter of the two suits, and advised to buy 1 size up since I did most of my fishing from May until September - that was I could wear it when really hot with shorts and a t shirt and when colder layer underneath - must say it was great advice.  I have had my suit for 7 years now and it still works as it should 

Cheers

Andrew

you guys are awesome. As a person of dutch decent I just keep a garbage bag in the boat. Tear a head hole and some arm holes and away you go. The best part is you don't even have to throw the bag away, can jam it in a boat compartment and then next time you already have your rain gear ready to go.

ps...yes my arms, legs and head do get wet. 

• Haha 2