Going to Killarney Provicial Park - PLEASE HELP!

blackfield

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is safe and sound, and enjoying the fishing season! I am taking a boat to Killarney this month, will be staying at the park with the family. I noticed I can dock my boat at the Mountain Lodge, and take it fishing from there. I've never fished around that area of Georgian Bay. Any tips on where to find fish (bass, pike or anything else:-)) around that area?

Thanks a lot in advance,

14 hours ago, blackfield said:

Yeah, main lake looks pretty rough on most days (I was there without my boat). Bill, when you say East, you mean going the opposite direction from the one that takes me into the main lake?

If you did that you'd be going northeast.    Just look at a map, directly east of the lodge you'll see the Western Entrance and a bunch of really nice looking bays and shoals.   Goodluck!   Let us know how you make out, some amazing water up there.

Thanks a lot for helping out Bill! I checked out the map, and trying to orient myself better. I believe there are 2 options there: a direction towards Killarney East Lighthouse, or Killarney Northwest lighthouse. I believe based on your instructions I need to go towards the East Lighthouse. How careful should be with the motor there? Lots of sticking out rocks?

Edited by blackfield

10 hours ago, blackfield said:

Thanks a lot for helping out Bill! I checked out the map, and trying to orient myself better. I believe there are 2 options there: a direction towards Killarney East Lighthouse, or Killarney Northwest lighthouse. I believe based on your instructions I need to go towards the East Lighthouse. How careful should be with the motor there? Lots of sticking out rocks?

That's the direction I'd be heading.    You don't have a sonar on the boat with maps?   If not pick up at least the Navionics boaters app for your phone.   I wouldn't go out there blind.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Guys! Yeah, sure, I have pretty good electronics on the boat :-). I wouldn't go blind into waters like this - it's a recipe to come back no prop or skeg :-). I am just trying to prepare the spots in advance, and know which general direction I need to head once the boat is on the water. And I do fish a lot in Georgian Bay but other areas, some are pretty rockless, some I need to be more careful with. From my previous experience being at Killarney without a boat, it looked like there might be many dangerous hidden rocks, which means I will have to go slow from point A to point B before I put on my trolling motor.

Thanks a million again for the tips!

A trip to Baie Fine is well worth the run with the family, if you need a day trip. Be sure to check conditions before leaving as it can get pretty nasty on Frazier Bay. There's also Topaz Lake that is a hike, but a fantastic diving and swimming lake. You can access it about half way down Baie Fine.

There are rainbow on the south side of both Badgeley and Centre Islands as well as the bay on the north east corner of Centre Island. Hit the drop offs. Follow the markers out of Killarney and you will be good.

HH

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was there two weeks ago. Fished Killarney Bay and Collins inlet. Some limited success in the Inlet with small bass and pike-tubes and spinnerbaits. Nothing picture worthy though. I think with more time and experimenting  I would have been more successful. Water is very clear-greenish compared to point au baril and other areas of GB I have fished so I was not used to that. I've been told fishing is more productive up towards and into Mill Lake. It's quite a ride to Mill from the lodge though and since I fish out of a kayak I did not make it that far, but did not worry about rocks! You can launch out of Chikanshing Creek to access Collins Inlet as well. Good luck. Looking forward to reading your report. 

Edited by skdds