Inexpensive saltwater rod and reel?

Dave Bailey

Dave what type of fish are you going for and what style meaning surf fishing or boat fishing ? I use my musky rod and reel for the majority of boat and my bass rigs for shore fishing. The only specialty rig I have are my surf rods which are taller and have long butts on them. 

Art

Just off the shore or the pier. I thought that saltwater required special gear that could stand up to the corrosion. As far as what fish, I'm bad enough at targeting fresh water species, so I'll probably just chuck something in the water and hang on. 

You could be fishing Stripe Bass off pier ,jetty, or shore these could be over 40lb and require a surf rod and some big tackle.

Most of what I've heard about medium size so heavy bass rods will do.

Most piers get a run of mackerel they are 15-18 inches and a medium 6-6 -7 ft  spinning rod is best 8-10 ib line

and use a mackerel rig which is bell sinker on bottom and 3 tiny hooks with white and red feathers.

High tide is everything low tide stay home. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:13 PM, BillM said:

Rinse your gear after a day of fishing and what you use now will be just fine. 

9 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

I have a cheap Shimano 4000 series I take down south. Rinse it off.  

yup. This is all I ever do

• Like 1

Daiwa BG reels are really good saltwater reels and not that expensive.  They are really highly rated.  I have one and its fantastic.  You can spend a lot of money on a rod, but for mackerel off a pier its not necessary.  Look at a Ugly Stick eLite and a Daiwa BG 2500 and it will be a great rig that will last a long time.

Generally you will catch nothing big off the peer. If you do consider yourself very lucky. Depending on the season something like mackerel or rock bass is more likely. In NFL they call them Connors, lol. Bring a decent rod that you can toss with and lures like cleos that you can chuck a fair distance. I wouldn't bring your cheapest reel nor your most expensive. Take a spinning reel because you get more distance. Quantum makes reels specifically for salt water but if you can't afford that you can buy a small lube injector from Canadian tire. Thoroughly lube any section that salt water can get in, specifically the shaft and the joint on the handle. Thoroughly wash your reel soon after every use. Lube it up again as necessary. Don't forget to soak your lures in water after every use!

On 7/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, Dave Bailey said:

Just off the shore or the pier. I thought that saltwater required special gear that could stand up to the corrosion. As far as what fish, I'm bad enough at targeting fresh water species, so I'll probably just chuck something in the water and hang on. 

Since we live mainly on the salt, I have a fair amount of salt specific gear but also still have a good bit of regular stuff.  Hell I still have  an Ambassadeur 5000c and two Mitchell 300's from the 70's.  What us rednecks do down here do is put a bit of Salt-Away in a 5 Gal bucket filled with water and give em an hour or so soak.  Other than that just keep them lubed up and serviced.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:32 PM, Dave Bailey said:

I realise that the term might be self-contradictory, but I really don't want to blow too much money. Our son lives in Shediac, New Brunswick, and I would mind getting some fishing done whenever we get out there. Any suggestions?

Dave i have 2 salt water rods and reels that I used for pier fishing, they aren't expensive sets but work well and they are in excellent condition. If you feel like taking a drive up to lindsay you can take your pick, I don't think I will be spending winters South anymore. Might even have a few hooks and weights I no longer need. PM and I will give you my address and phone number. 

• Like 1

The year my bro-in-law and I drove my step daughter's van down to Florida (the movers wanted $2500) we went fishing off a pier and they charged us $5 for entrance fee and $15 for rod and reel rental...as we were expecting to be there for ten days we went to Wal-Mart and bought decent combo fresh water outfits for about $40 each and saved $15 each time we used them (making sure we washed them in fresh water afterwards) We left them for my grandsons to use...

Edited by Beans

• 2 weeks later...

Im pounding salt water here on the coast with my ontario gear just rinse it off going on 4 years now no issues

i just spooled a muskie real for pollock fishing 

Edited by BITEME
addition

On 7/8/2021 at 1:46 PM, Big Cliff said:

Dave i have 2 salt water rods and reels that I used for pier fishing, they aren't expensive sets but work well and they are in excellent condition. If you feel like taking a drive up to lindsay you can take your pick, I don't think I will be spending winters South anymore. Might even have a few hooks and weights I no longer need. PM and I will give you my address and phone number. 

Thanks. Hang on to them for now, you ain't done yet! But I'll keep it in mind. 

Years ago my sister had a place i the Florida Keys. I had one rod at the time, a Conolon Hellbender 10'6" float/spin rod. and a Whisker. I bought some bait, crabs  I think, at the tackle shop. I took it out to the small dock the development had and floated the bait. Bonefish on. Over my vacation there I did quite  well on bones and some small panfish sized fish that were really tasty. The guys at the bait shop didn't believe I'd caught bonefish that way claiming they must be Ladyfish and I was mis identifying them. They WERE Bones and they were awesome fighters faster than a steelie and for their size really powerful. They were perfect for the floating setup except that getting them that way pissed off the flyboys.