Data cable for 40 hp Yamaha

Rattletrap2

Ok, so I started looking into this data cable for my 2017 40hp Yamaha a couple of years ago. My Lowrance HDS9 graphs have the capability to display the info on my screens through the NMEA 2000 network that connects my two graphs and reads the gps and transducers
I really could not find any info specifically pertaining to my motor online. When I bought the cable two years ago, it says 50 hp and up! I finally spoke to a fellow at the boat show two years ago from Yamaha, that really seemed to know what he was talking about. He said it should still work and agreed that if I had the plug under the cowl, it “should” read the data available.

Well, finally, after being my overly cautious self (understatement of the year! Lol), I installed it! I am delighted that it gives me RPM’s, hours on engine, rate of fuel being consumed, and probably lots more! Hours was my main objective! I installed a little stand alone battery operated gauge a while back when it was new, but the thing eats batteries!

My fishing partner claims it will just be another distraction to keep me from fishing! Lol

• Haha 1

Apparently, the larger engines may have more sensors that give more data? I don’t see engine temperature or oil/water pressure that would be nice! This is the same plug that a dealer would plug their laptop into for diagnosis I believe?

That is exactly it Paul! I already had the network in there, so it is just adding in the tee they give you. The Lowrance units found it automatically, but the device list only had it as a number. My Buddy gave me his Lowrance units as a huge upgrade to what I had when he switched to Garmin live Scope!

Edited by Rattletrap2

Hello All,  I just read this topic and I wonder if a fisherman from 1950 just woke up from a nap and saw all this tech info, what is your opinion of what he would wonder, to please the Mods, keep it clean. TIA.  What ever happend to putting a worm on a hook and hoping for the best..

Edited by npt1
addition to text

8 hours ago, npt1 said:

Hello All,  I just read this topic and I wonder if a fisherman from 1950 just woke up from a nap and saw all this tech info, what is your opinion of what he would wonder, to please the Mods, keep it clean. TIA.  What ever happend to putting a worm on a hook and hoping for the best..

We could all still be lighting fires by rubbing 2 sticks together, but things have evolved to where there is a better way.  It’s nice to have the ability to catch fish with a worm and a hook. But given my options, I’ll take my GPS, sonar and ipilot every day thanks!

9 hours ago, npt1 said:

Oh I hear you! A part of me embraces all this technology, but there is another part that yearns for a simpler time. I am easily frustrated by this stuff, but the inquisitive side of me wants to learn more! It is a viscous battle! Lol