Any older motorhome owners here?

Geez, is the RV pool just as crazy as the boating situation right now? 

I thought about picking up a cheap 80’s or 90’s C Class (Think cube van chassis) to fix up. Prices are anywhere from ok to right stupid.

But the wife is done with the tent trailer and I’d rather tow the boat now anyway, so now on to something I never considered until now. 

Anyone running an older rig with moderate success? I’m not afraid of mechanical repairs or substantial restoration work, but I don’t want a an absolute money pit turd of a project. 

there seems to be some decent, lower mileage picks out there that by mileage, should have substantial life left. (Save for age related things like deteriorated plastics, rubber etc) 

My preferences tend to be by what I can afford out-of-pocket. I don’t have payments and I do not want payments. If anybody out there has run both old and new and the answer is buy new or forget it, I need to know this LOL. (Somehow I think it’s going to be the latter) 

Only going by my 1987 travel trailer and the new 2019 one I have, I can only say that the workmanship of the new ones is like, assembled by a bunch of crackheads.  Windows not sealed, plumbing connections not even remotely tight, when I turned the water on and took the strainers off, wood chips came out with the water.  Couldn't figure out why one of the receptacles inside didn't work, well the wires weren't hooked up.  Unbelievable.  And it's not just the low end models, there's people on the RV forums with complaints all day, all night.  Floors are now no longer 3/4 or 5/8 plywood, it's foam sandwiched  between luan sheets and covered with either sheet vinyl or other junk.  One large lady actually fell through her floor.  So, that said, I'd be looking at some of the older well taken care of models.

• Like 1

I have a 2004 Winniibago 30' class A and love it. I did tons of research (4 years worth) prior to deciding on the class A but I am really glad I went that route.  There is so much information to share I couldn't possibly put it all on here. Be careful of very low milage units, they have been sitting a long time things tend to be dried out and seized up. Watch for evidence of water damage, make sure propane appliances especially things like the fridge, and air conditioning are in good working condition, they can be very expensive repairs. I  would be happy to try to help if you have any specific questions or if you want to phone me, pm me and I'll send you my phone number. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Only going by my 1987 travel trailer and the new 2019 one I have, I can only say that the workmanship of the new ones is like, assembled by a bunch of crackheads.  Windows not sealed, plumbing connections not even remotely tight, when I turned the water on and took the strainers off, wood chips came out with the water.  Couldn't figure out why one of the receptacles inside didn't work, well the wires weren't hooked up.  Unbelievable.  And it's not just the low end models, there's people on the RV forums with complaints all day, all night.  Floors are now no longer 3/4 or 5/8 plywood, it's foam sandwiched  between luan sheets and covered with either sheet vinyl or other junk.  One large lady actually fell through her floor.  So, that said, I'd be looking at some of the older well taken care of models.

Thanks, I’m hearing similar things. Our old, basic Coleman was better built than later years. Roof, canvas etc. 

Years ago my folks had a Class C motorhome and it was darned nice. Wife & I took it on a couple trips to the east coast and it was extremely comfortable. Obviously smaller than a Class A but for a couple it's more than adequate if you won't be spending long periods of time in it.

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

I have a 2004 Winniibago 30' class A and love it. I did tons of research (4 years worth) prior to deciding on the class A but I am really glad I went that route.  There is so much information to share I couldn't possibly put it all on here. Be careful of very low milage units, they have been sitting a long time things tend to be dried out and seized up. Watch for evidence of water damage, make sure propane appliances especially things like the fridge, and air conditioning are in good working condition, they can be very expensive repairs. I  would be happy to try to help if you have any specific questions or if you want to phone me, pm me and I'll send you my phone number. 

Thanks Cliff, I really appreciate that offer. 
I definitely need something that’s running, driving, stopping and looks structurally sound as a starting point. Non running is a dealbreaker. Good point about the sitting forever thing. I hear the domestic 2 way fridges are not cheap (if I can even find matching sizes etc). I’d definitely want one that runs on both propane and 12v

11 minutes ago, lew said:

Years ago my folks had a Class C motorhome and it was darned nice. Wife & I took it on a couple trips to the east coast and it was extremely comfortable. Obviously smaller than a Class A but for a couple it's more than adequate if you won't be spending long periods of time in it.

our tent trailer is so small we’re knees to knees at the dinette, which is the only place to sit. We looked at lots of trailers at the RV show but I want to bring the boat too. buying a 3/4 ton truck daily driver to tow both a 5r and a boat is out of the question. (Nor do I want to tow a train)

So I think C class is the right size fit for us and my thoughts are if we really enjoy it over the next 2 years we would possibly commit to buying newer to go further out. 

11 minutes ago, lew said:

Plus a Class C is a bit more manageable if you need to go into town for whatever reason.

True, but I’ll miss the touring factor. We go to a lot of the provincial parks and often spend a day (or more) road tripping the area. Maybe keep the canoe after all and bring the car (and canoe) on a tow dolly for trips to new areas or “city” based trips etc.