Second thoughts on new boat

bigcreekdad

I am obviously crazy. Spent a ton of time seeing what was available, pricing and researching them....even getting opinions from many of you.

So, yesterday, decision made. Chose Crestliner. Put a deposit down, and made arrangements to drive the 2 plus hours on Wednesday to drop my boat off (1998 Alumacraft Magnum 165T). Dealer is installing my Yam 60 4stroke on the new boat, and buying my boat.

Today, I was cleaning out my old boat, and decided to go fishing for a few hours. All the time fishing (lousy fishing btw, and embedded a damn hook in my left index finger) I a looking over the Magnum....seems pretty damn comfortable, still rides great, fishes just fine, etc. 

So, I start feeling stupid, and kinda bad, about getting rid of a 20+ year fishing partner that still functions quite well. Actually, ended up a little depressed, and started to think of cancelling the sale.

Anyone ever go through this? 

Sniff.

A bit of grief, or nostalgia, is not a bad thing.  But think of the adventures and stories you will have with your NEW boat!  You don't get very far ahead if you are looking in the rear-view mirror.............

Doug

The boat in my driveway currently is the longest I’ve ever owned one other than my old Lund SSV. Trucks and cars I keep a long time  but boats I seem to like horse trading for some reason.  Sure enough I just got this one exactly where I want it and I started thinking about making some corona money and ordering a new one from the dealer.  Fact is I need my boat as we have too much going on this summer for me to sell it, but the thought lingers LOL.  Enjoy the new boat, it’s always a nice feeling!

One door closes and another one opens..............and damn you!!!  Now you got me thinking it might be time to get a new boat as well.  It doesn't help that my outboard had an issue just before bass season and is at the sick motor doctor awaiting parts.............🙄

Imma gonna nurse my 1975 70 hp Evinrude until I can rebuild my 1987 Johnson 70 hp (unfortunate lending experience) then enjoy the fresh 70 until the gas engine ban in 2035 something.... 14 years to go LOL.   They'll stop selling tcw-3 in 10 years, btw...A very unceremonius death to 2 stroke boating last year.  I'm too old to let go. 

Evolution... usually emission standards etc. are set by gov't, and industry evolves, you didn't notice the death of 2 stroke outboards? gov't didn't have to legislate it...brp killed it.  no maker has a foot in the game 2 cycle hence NO MORE 2 cycle outboards.  very quickly will availability of basic supplies evaporate.   Hell, mercury carb kits for post EPA carbs (y'know the ones in the 4 strokes) no longer come with idle mix needles.  Don't know about Honda's as they have always been break them off, drill them out and replace.....The brochures don't mention this stuff eh?

oh ya I went through that around 8 years ago. I sold my Princecraft to a member here because I needed something heavier to fish great lakes and lake St Clair. But man I loved the boat and felt kinda bad about it for a bit. Luckily I know Rob continues to enjoy that boat and occasionally see the odd picture here of it. The good news is, the boat I bought to replace it has also been great! That certainly helped get over the blues of selling it! Hope your new ride also works out great.