Bought my first ever outboard. filling the lower unit.

huzzsaba

found what Im hoping to be a decent deal on a 5 hp outboard motor.  Not knowing the service history, I went ahead and drained the lower unit and filled it with 80w90 gear oil.  I did some research and bough the proper plunger filler tool and filled the fluid from the bottom until the fluid came out what I think is the vent hole.  So, this is where I am a bit confused.  There are 3 screw there.  Bottom one (biggest) is obviously the drain and fill.  The one in the middle is where the fluid came gushing out of when I filled it up, which I am assuming is the vent.  Any idea what the third one is?  

I havent started the motor yet and just want to make sure I did the filling part properly. Thanks

chrysler lower end.jpg

Edited by huzzsaba

5 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Only an opinion but it looks like the green screw has screw driver marks on it so I don't think it could hurt to undo it.  Maybe shifter linkage set screw underneath.  What brand of motor?

It's a 75 Chrysler 5hp.

Has good compression and looks like new which is why I bought it.  Did some research and its supposedly a very simple and good motor.I guess I will find out soon!

Fisherman, I will take a look again at the green one and see whats under there. It was a short screw with a plastic gasket under it.

1 minute ago, Fisherman said:

Well I just looked everywhere I could think of, there looks to be an unlimited amount of different style gear cases, 2 screws,  2 screws above the cavitation plate, but not like yours.  I'll look more.

Thanks for your help. This doesn't have reverse gear I believe. For reverse, I'm suppose to spin the outboard around 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, huzzsaba said:

Thanks for your help. This doesn't have reverse gear I believe. For reverse, I'm suppose to spin the outboard around 😁. You mentioned something about shifter linkage.

This motor supposedly has its roots from the early Elgin motors made by West bend. Unfortunately only one video on YouTube showing this motor. 

Edited by huzzsaba

45 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

did you have both the yellow and the green open when adding the gear oil?

At first I had green open and yellow close, but it started flowing back out the bottom and not from the green one. I figured then it was the yellow one. I then removed the yellow screw and filled it till the yellow one started flowing out. Hope that made sense. Not sure if the green one is part of the same sump. 

Edited by huzzsaba

they have a forum called “ask a member” 

you won’t find a better resource forum for old outboard motors than there. 

Be careful removing the upper screws until you know which one. IIRC, some old OMC lower units had three screws and one was to position or secure something inside. Removing by mistake made it a real hassle to resemble said item

good luck with your motor, hope it works out

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

well for what its worth, some of the older smaller units just have the one screw.  invert the unit once drained and patiently fill until no more bubbles (like a sea-doo jet pump).  If you already took the upper screws out, make sure there is a good oring and also check there is no shift rod pivot or bearing retainer misaligned in the hole, slow and careful.  You have an oldy there.