The Finalists....Crestliner 1650 Pro Tiller vs Lund 1650 Angler Tiller

bigcreekdad

I like both. Crestliner a few inches wider, has built in gas tank, and can handle a 60 hp.

Lund is.....well, it's a Lund, but it is laid out well, and is lighter....I fish alone 3/4 of the time, and this should make loading and unloading a bit easier. While it is maxed at 50 hp, I usually am fishing lakes under 1500 acres.

Any thoughts from the group?

Both are nice. But I much prefer everything offered in the Crestliner. Much better on the compartments and control panel layout.  And while I generally think nautolex is a better overall product long term, the carpet in the Crestliner looks nicer. 

is there that much weight difference and where does the heavier weight difference  really impact you? (Launch, towing, roll around dry storage Ie; garage etc)

I personally would go with the Crestliner due to the built in gas tank and extra horse power , you'll never regret more horses.

Both nice rigs though .

Traded my 2017 Lund rebel for a G3 177 Outfitter , with a 70 tiller this year and absolutely love extra space a tiller provides .

6 minutes ago, bigcreekdad said:

Hack....The Crestliner is around 1050lbs. The Lund is 250 lbs less....big difference

Ok, so perhaps just a winching thing...would a bigger winch, electric winch or roller trailer, roller bunks or slicks be enough to offset those concerns? 

I don’t know your needs but I think there’d be enough wiggle room to offset the weight difference depending on your budget?

Oh the choices. Wider heavier boat may not be as fast/efficient (although bigger max hp would take care of the speed.) Wider boat would be nice it you have more than yourself in the boat, but if you are mostly solo as you said the smaller boat just might make everything that little bit easier. Too bad we can't test drive boats the way we do cars. Boat v boat performance and different size motors on the same boat to make the best comparisons.

• Like 2

250lbs really isn't much of a difference.  That's like having a buddy in the boat.    I've got a Lund but I'd pick the boat with the best layout for you.   Built in gas tank on the Crestliner would be a big plus as well.    If you're fishing smaller lakes with crappier ramps I'd really consider a roller trailer and perhaps a Drotto which will make loading/launching easier.

• Like 1

I suggest you contact moosebunk for first-hand experience with the Lund.

I have had many boats, and looked at a LOT of them before I settled on a Sylvan.  It had the best layout for what I wanted to do.  I have a 40 hp Honda on my 16 footer and do not feel under-powered.

As others have said, both your "finalists" are great boats.

Doug

I say buy them both . You choose which one you want to fish from ,and I will fish from the other . We can compare notes after a season on the water. LOL

I would go with the Crestliner myself.

I will add though, after your last post,I took a gander at some boats around here on the www . The prices are way out to lunch IMO. $14 G for a basic 16ft with a 30 hp and trailer. That is just nuts.

A boat like Bills, is like 45 G +.  Nuts I say, NUTS

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

250lbs is nothing.  I solo launch and fish a 3K pound boat on my own all the time.  In that size class you’ll never have a problem.  That said, either one is a great boat and the Lund will take some pretty sporty water.  Tough choice!

And the winner is....Crestliner! 

Built in gas tank. more storage, and better stability (I'm thinking) tipped the scales. As many of you said.....neither a bad choice.

Finally, dealer offered to mount my 10 year old Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke own it, and still buy the 21 year old boat. Actually, this was another minor issue with the Lund. With it, I'd be buying the 50 hp Merc. I really wanted to continue to use my local marina, but, while they work on Mercs, they won't do warranty as the pay from Merc is low.

Thanks to all who chimed in.....I gave thought to all comments.

• Like 1

If the Crestliner is welded go for the Lund, other wise the the Crestliner is more bang for the buck, lately Lund's are over rated , they are not what they used to be. I wouldn't take a welded boat under .125 " if they were giving them away

34 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Boats and pretty girls about the same.

The one you keep looking at is the boat for you.

I started looking at a pretty girl 57 years ago and we're still together  LOL

• Like 4