Gas Tank Size in new Lund Boats

bigcreekdad

19 minutes ago, bigcreekdad said:

I'm thinking of a new boat (again). One I'm interested in the the Lund 1650 Angler. One deal breaker is the 6.5 portable gas tank. For a near 17' boat with a 50hp engine. What were they thinking?

I’m gonna keep it straight with you. Don’t buy a 16 twin console.

buy a tiller from a reputable company. 

the fishability of them is 10000000x better

• Like 1

Just now, craigdritchie said:

If you're worried about the fuel capacity, Smoker Craft's Excursion 166T is very similar in layout and comes with an internal 24 gal / 90L fuel tank. I've driven a couple of these, they're nice boats.

There’s 0 comparing a smoker craft to a Lund though. 

you will save some dough, but Lund guys are lund guys and understandably so.

• Like 1

Thats plenty of gas for a 50hp 4 stoke engine. I can fish for days and days on a 25L tank with my 40 yamaha. No need to haul around any more than that anyways. If your going so far that you need more, just bring it in gerry cans. 

S. 

• Like 4

For reference I have a 16 foot princecraft side console with a 50hp 4 stroke Johnson (2003). Three days of running and trolling on Nipissing this spring and when I went to add gas to the tank before going out this week I couldn't even add 10 litres to the tank. The motors are so efficient that a tank that size is fine (I would think that today's engines are even better than one that is almost 20 years old). I do have a second tank that I bring sometimes if I'm remote and/or I'm worried about finding no-ethinol gas. For me I like having 2 tanks rather than one big one b/c I don't have to worry about old gas.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, kickingfrog said:

How are boats nowadays for accurate fuel gauges for built in tanks? My only experience is 70's and 80's boats and those gauges were terrible.

My boat is full until it’s on a quarter tank LOL, and it’s a 2009.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:38 PM, Dara said:

Sorry but Devils advocate

I have an on board in my 16' Sylvan and fished Lady Eveleyn for a week and never had to put gas in or change a tank . Thats a nice feature . Pros and cons

Yes, but you also hauled around a lot of extra weight for the first half of your week lol 

S. 

4 hours ago, Sinker said:

Yes, but you also hauled around a lot of extra weight for the first half of your week lol 

S. 

Thats true in many cases but that time we went to Lady Evelyn, boat in only,  and would have had to haul it anyway.

And up here around St Marys river Lake Huron north channel it doesn't hurt to have a bit of gas on board.   Pros-Cons