Non Inflatable Floatation Devices

bigcreekdad

1 minute ago, bigcreekdad said:

Does anyone use one that they would recommend. I don't know why, but I just can't get mentally comfortable with the need for the user, or the water, to set off the Co2 cartridge. I know, I know.....I'm paranoid.

If I have to use that style, I like a fisherman style with a mesh top and neoprene neck band. They sometimes have pockets on the front too. 

33 minutes ago, bigcreekdad said:

Does anyone use one that they would recommend. I don't know why, but I just can't get mentally comfortable with the need for the user, or the water, to set off the Co2 cartridge. I know, I know.....I'm paranoid.

kayak ones are typically very nice. 

However I will point out, if you are going to use the flotation device to drive and then take it off to fish, i can assure you you are statistically better off wearing a CO2 auto inflate 100% of the time then while just under power.

The flawed logic of people to not wear the auto full time because it might not inflate while also taking their PFD off to fish is about as ridiculous as it can get.

• Like 1

I also had my doubts with the auto inflatable jackets. Worn one for two years and never really knew if it worked? The last time my brother and I went fishing together, he was pretty weak from the cancer. I made him wear the inflatable; just incase. Sure enough he went off the dock when getting off the pontoon boat. I saw the splash and he was gone. About a second (or less) later there he was; bobbed up to the surface like a cork; head and neck fully supported by the jacket. Keep them up to date with the CO2 cylinder and arming trigger and they work.

Dan. 

• Like 1

Lots of comfortable traditional jackets now. Fishing ones are good but I too preferred a paddling style vest. Best to get to a store that has a bunch and try them on.

I've used an auto inflate for 7-8 years now. I've replace the cartridge twice and each time I've jumped in the water to see how the old one would do. Zero issues going off.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kickingfrog said:

Lots of comfortable traditional jackets now. Fishing ones are good but I too preferred a paddling style vest. Best to get to a store that has a bunch and try them on.

I've used an auto inflate for 7-8 years now. I've replace the cartridge twice and each time I've jumped in the water to see how the old one would do. Zero issues going off.

youve just reminded me that im due to change mine.

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

kayak ones are typically very nice. 

However I will point out, if you are going to use the flotation device to drive and then take it off to fish, i can assure you you are statistically better off wearing a CO2 auto inflate 100% of the time then while just under power.

The flawed logic of people to not wear the auto full time because it might not inflate while also taking their PFD off to fish is about as ridiculous as it can get.

I bought an inflatable so I’ll wear it all the time. Otherwise it comes of and hangs on the seat. Not a great place for it if I’m not a strong swimmer. 

• Like 1