8hp Chrysler outboard? Good or not?

huzzsaba

I recently purchased a 11ft zodiac style inflatable. It's rated for 15hp motor, but I would prefer something lightweight, and don't need too much power.

A 4 stroke is out of the question budget wise.

I have been looking around and found an older 8hp Chrysler which owner claims runs good.

In my research about these Chrysler outboards, I read good and bad. I am not sure of the bad reviews are for the bigger motors, but a smaller 8hp 2 stroke should be ok, no?

Looking for some feedback.  I have never worked on a boat motor, but I am mechanically inclined, and am confident I can repair/maintain.

Have done a head gasket on a V6 car motor if that gives a better idea about my mechanical skills, and do most of my vehicle maintenance and repairs myself.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Chrysler outboards

That name gives me the shivers. LOL

Worst memory was the excitement of going fishing with a buddy, his motor,Chrysler outboard, was the horror of the trip. Ended up fishing from shore for a week . Getting parts for that thing may be real hard bud.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

I recently purchased a 11ft zodiac style inflatable. It's rated for 15hp motor, but I would prefer something lightweight, and don't need too much power.

A 4 stroke is out of the question budget wise.

I have been looking around and found an older 8hp Chrysler which owner claims runs good.

In my research about these Chrysler outboards, I read good and bad. I am not sure of the bad reviews are for the bigger motors, but a smaller 8hp 2 stroke should be ok, no?

Looking for some feedback.  I have never worked on a boat motor, but I am mechanically inclined, and am confident I can repair/maintain.

Have done a head gasket on a V6 car motor if that gives a better idea about my mechanical skills, and do most of my vehicle maintenance and repairs myself.

Thanks.

Aside from finding parts for this, most small outboards this old suffer from poor compression and worn internals. While some may run, they won’t idle well or may be hard to start. A tuneup won’t fix this. Brittle, cracked and corroded wiring can be an issue too as seen in the 70’s mercs.

I’d try to look for something from the 90’s up or a 4 stroke if you can find room in your budget. Whatever you buy, see it running. Do a compression test. Both pistons should be within a few psi of each other. Check the lower unit oil (let a bit out on a rag). If water comes out or the oil is brown, white or chocolate milk coloured, the lower seals need replacing. 
And plan on changing the impeller and lower unit oil. that’s a must but easy to do. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
wrong word auto correct

Chrysler outboard’s have had a very poor reputation from the outset.  Parts are quite difficult to find.  I would not spend my hard earned money on one.  I think it will lead you to regret the purchase.  If your looking to buy a used 2 stroke I would keep my eye open for a Nissan 9.8hp 2 stroke from the early 2000’s.  Japanese made motors that are super reliable and only weigh about 60lbs.  I sold one this spring when I replaced the motor on my tin boat with a four stroke. I had it for about 15 years and it was an excellent motor!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, misfish said:

That name gives me the shivers. LOL

Worst memory was the excitement of going fishing with a buddy, his motor,Chrysler outboard, was the horror of the trip. Ended up fishing from shore for a week . Getting parts for that thing may be real hard bud.

Force is another name that gives people the shivers

6 hours ago, dave524 said:

Force is another name that gives people the shivers

I believe that Force are in fact the old Chrysler motors.  Chrysler was forced to sell their outboard motor business as part of the early 80s bailout.  The new owners called them Force.

Thank you everyone for your replies. So, the motor I was interested in has sold, so unless another one comes up, I am going to look at others.

What I did like about the chrysler motor was :

1) it actually looks nice for an old motor

2) It sounds very nice (in videos) compared to other motors of the same size

3) Like Terry mentioned, it seems very powerful as well 

For now, I am continuing the search and am seeing a lot of 4-6 hp motors.  A lot of Mercury, Viking, and some other brand never heard of.  Will continue to do my research.  I think  I want to keep it at a minimum hp of 6 for now, otherwise I wouldnt have bought this inflatable.  Need something to make it feel a little bigger and muscular 😁

11 minutes ago, huzzsaba said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. So, the motor I was interested in has sold, so unless another one comes up, I am going to look at others.

What I did like about the chrysler motor was :

1) it actually looks nice for an old motor

2) It sounds very nice (in videos) compared to other motors of the same size

3) Like Terry mentioned, it seems very powerful as well 

For now, I am continuing the search and am seeing a lot of 4-6 hp motors.  A lot of Mercury, Viking, and some other brand never heard of.  Will continue to do my research.  I think  I want to keep it at a minimum hp of 6 for now, otherwise I wouldnt have bought this inflatable.  Need something to make it feel a little bigger and muscular 😁

Viking was an Eaton's brand motor.  It was probably made by OMC (Johnson/Evinrude).

6 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

BTW,how are the older Johnsons, Evinrude, and mercury?  

Johnson & Evinrude were both owned by OMC. Lots of them around, but again if you’re looking at 60’s like that Viking or 70’s motors, you are going to see a lot of worn out junk full of obsolete parts. You may find gold (a low hours, pristine motor that’s been properly stored for decades) but you still have age related issues such as brittle and cracked fuel lines, plugged carbs, rotten seals. (All rubber has a shelf life)

I can’t speak for merc or the Japanese brands, but I’ve got a 1990 Evinrude 8hp that I picked up for $450 a few years ago. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel lines and did a lower unit service and it purrs like a kitten all day long. But I was willing to take a chance on it and do the work. 

it been MUCH tougher to find good deals due to covid with anything boat/camping related and that surely doesn’t help your case. 

can we ask what your budget is? 

Good motor and reasonable price IMO

https://marine.honda.ca/portables/BF5

Pretty cool feature for a 5hp

the BF5 outboard comes with an high output charging system of 6 Amps at 12 Volts to power consumer demands for electronic devices on board, giving outdoor enthusiasts ample power to charge accessories including running lights, fish finders, GPS systems and other electronics, and can be connected to an optional auxiliary tank for longer journeys.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Johnson & Evinrude were both owned by OMC. Lots of them around, but again if you’re looking at 60’s like that Viking or 70’s motors, you are going to see a lot of worn out junk full of obsolete parts. You may find gold (a low hours, pristine motor that’s been properly stored for decades) but you still have age related issues such as brittle and cracked fuel lines, plugged carbs, rotten seals. (All rubber has a shelf life)

I can’t speak for merc or the Japanese brands, but I’ve got a 1990 Evinrude 8hp that I picked up for $450 a few years ago. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel lines and did a lower unit service and it purrs like a kitten all day long. But I was willing to take a chance on it and do the work. 

it been MUCH tougher to find good deals due to covid with anything boat/camping related and that surely doesn’t help your case. 

can we ask what your budget is? 

Thank you for your advice.  My budget is $500. I know a lot of stuff is overpriced at the moment, but I am sure I will find something sooner or later that will be good.

It's going on this boat which is a 10 foot rated at 10 hp

IMG_20210622_1820561.jpg

3 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Thank you for your advice.  My budget is $500. I know a lot of stuff is overpriced at the moment, but I am sure I will find something sooner or later that will be good.

It's going on this boat which is a 10 foot rated at 10 hp

IMG_20210622_1820561.jpg

not gonna lie...if i were you id buy a used electric trolling motor and call it a day. It will be better for fishing and get you out into the lake at an affordable cost. Thats just me though.

• Like 1

I agree with Akrisoner, with this budget electric motor would be best if not the only option.
Similar inflantable + 30lb thrust motor was doing fantastic with 2 people on it. The only thing is you have to be careful with winds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

BTW,how are the older Johnsons, Evinrude, and mercury?  

I was not a big fan of the earlier Mercs.  The Johhnyrudes are a different story,  An early 80's to early 90's era Johnson or Evinrude 4-6hp would make a great addition to an inflatable boat.  Probably one of the most reliable small motors of the time.  Tons of them out there as well if you needed to find parts.  That's just my opinion having owned a 4, a 6 and a 15hp  Johnnyrudes over the years.  I also owned a 9.8hp merc on a duck boat way back. It was a pile of junk and broke down constantly.

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mamona said:

Similar inflantable + 30lb thrust motor was doing fantastic with 2 people on it. The only thing is you have to be careful with winds.

I would get the 55lb thrust. Atleast you know you will have the power , if the wind does pick up . I have used both on my float boats. 55 was the cats meow. I only went with the 30 now due to weight, but that should not be an issue for your float boat.

• Like 2