I'm done with Samsung

6 1/2 years ago I bought a 60" Samsung smart tv and a 3 year extended warranty wasn't too much extra so I bought that too. The TV worked great and then just 4 months after the warranty expired the tv self destructed. I bought it at The Brick down in Peterboro but they said there was nothing they could do which I understood.

I know Samsung's are sposed to be good TV's so I bought a 65"er along with the extended warranty and this morning when I turned it on there's a big 10" wide stripe running down the screen but this TV is only 2 years old.

I contacted the Brick again and they hooked me up with the company that handles the warrant repairs and they'll be here tomorrow. If they can't repair it I'll have to buy another but it sure as heck won't be another Samsung, I'm done with them.

My warranty is pro-rated so I'll get money towards another TV

Funny thing though as I have another 3 Samsung's that are all 11 years and have never had an issue.

IMG_0223.JPG

• Sad 1

Samsung, LG, they all seem to be building disposable ones these days. When my LG quit at 4.5 years I did some digging and found that there were a lot of other people that had theirs pack it in about the same age. LG even told me theirs were only prorated for 5 years. 

The company that came here yesterday to look at my TV has been in business for 30 years and is well respected so I take him at his word when he told me it's very common these days for a TV to give up the ghost after only 2-3 years and that it's a good idea to buy the extended warranty which wasn't really needed in the past. He also told me a huge part of his business these days is warranty work so that says something right there.

On 6/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, irishfield said:

And to think I just threw this 26" RCA out, still working. Bought it on a Friday night at Krazy Krazies in 1982,  so we could watch bugs bunny in colour on Saturday morning..

rcatv 001.JPG

Did you have to cross the room to change channels or did you have the Kleenex box sized remote on a cord? 

the one with about 15 buttons in a row with a 3 way rocker making it a 45(ish) switch remote 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Haha 1

Irish had all of those, and the wife for back up just in case :) . BTW people collect “tubes’ I have about 5 or 6, never used in package.. And if you have the drugstore tester consul model you have small fortune. 
collect my friends, I collect anything coins, cameras and type stuff. Lots of advertising I built in the 80s . . . Keeps the grands interested on what I did with my life. 
I look back at history in my office. Here is one the grands love on our walk. just like Lew I like getting out with nature close by 

E62AF50F-E212-4810-9EB7-1233C371BDFE.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

Irish had all of those, and the wife for back up just in case :) . BTW people collect “tubes’ I have about 5 or 6, never used in package.. And if you have the drugstore tester consul model you have small fortune. 
collect my friends, I collect anything coins, cameras and type stuff. Lots of advertising I built in the 80s . . . Keeps the grands interested on what I did with my life. 
I look back at history in my office. Here is one the grands love on our walk. just like Lew I like getting out with nature close by 

E62AF50F-E212-4810-9EB7-1233C371BDFE.jpeg

Guys keep the tubes for old guitar tube amplifiers maybe?

On 6/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Guys keep the tubes for old guitar tube amplifiers maybe?

I have two tube amps and yes, folks are always looking for New Old Stock tubes for their amps. A complete re-tube of my main amp would probably run me somewhere in the $600-$800 range. Tube quality in recent years has gone way down hill, especially those produced in the far east as well as Russia.

HH

Samsung and many other tv's have poor quality parts, especially the capacitors which are a $10 piece.  Mine gave out at 18 months and I was able to get it repaired.  At the same time my 18 month old LG fridge died.. manufacturers know that they are building crap but they also know people have a very short attention span and they love shiny new things. I hope that one day someone files a class action lawsuit on behalf of consumers..

• Like 3