How's the musky season going?

singingdog

20 minutes ago, singingdog said:

I am seeing very little green growth on weed beds, almost like the aquatic plant season is really late. 

Do you have any pencil reeds up your way yet ?

After about 45 years of chasing muskies one pattern that always worked for me this time of year was casting spinnerbaits into pencil reed beds and cranking them back out but more times than not the fish would hit as soon as the bait hit the water.

Best times for me were just before sunrise and then head back out at sunset.  As the sun is rising over the horizon and then again as it's dipping below it really turn the fish on and multiple fish in a short period of time is very common.

Pencil reeds grow in shallow water with a sandy bottom and that combo attracts the fish early season.....at least in my experience

3 hours ago, singingdog said:

Not good for me. Been out 3 times, hardly moving fish at all even in spots I know where they are. I am seeing very little green growth on weed beds, almost like the aquatic plant season is really late. 

seems crazy to me considering how bloody hot its been this spring.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

seems crazy to me considering how bloody hot its been this spring.

I was down at the lake this weekend.  I could feel the cold coming off the water.

Pencil reeds will hold bait fish such as blue gill and sun fish this time of year. Spawning I believe. 

Edited by misfish

7 hours ago, lew said:

Do you have any pencil reeds up your way yet ?

After about 45 years of chasing muskies one pattern that always worked for me this time of year was casting spinnerbaits into pencil reed beds and cranking them back out but more times than not the fish would hit as soon as the bait hit the water.

Best times for me were just before sunrise and then head back out at sunset.  As the sun is rising over the horizon and then again as it's dipping below it really turn the fish on and multiple fish in a short period of time is very common.

Pencil reeds grow in shallow water with a sandy bottom and that combo attracts the fish early season.....at least in my experience

Thanks Lew. No pencil reeds yet. Lack of any kind of green aquatic vegetation so far.

I went for a quick evening troll last night. Had 2 hits, one of them hooked for a few headshakes but got off. My musky season doesn't really pick up until they are in summer spots off deep weeds. I got a nice pair of walleyes though....lol 

S. 

Fished Sunday, 10 follows, 1 for 2.   It was a grind.  The problem is all that action happened in 2 separate 10minute windows, lol.    Only a 32in fish landed.     18 million boats out and a super hot day probably didn't help things.   But that's early season muskie fishing for ya.  Looking forward to the Zone 14 opener next weekend.