Boat bunk glides

wkrp

Yes and yes.  I've had mine (Glydesliks) on my bunks for about 15 years and they're still holding up well.   As much as it makes unloading easier, it's even more so on the retrieve,  no need for Popeye arms.  Would I do it again, yes.  Would I do rollers, never.

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Yes and yes.  I've had mine (Glydesliks) on my bunks for about 15 years and they're still holding up well.   As much as it makes unloading easier, it's even more so on the retrieve,  no need for Popeye arms.  Would I do it again, yes.  Would I do rollers, never.

Wobble rollers, or bunk roller slides?

nothing worse than winching out in late oct in nasty weather and have a wobble roller bugger off out of its bushing and going cockeyed. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Haha 1

Neither of them, rollers of any type only give you a small "footprint" to hold up the boat where as the bunks is a lot more square inches.  I know my princecraft dealer told me to avoid them for that reason.  Now with fibreglass boats, I don't know.

Just now, Fisherman said:

Neither of them, rollers of any type only give you a small "footprint" to hold up the boat where as the bunks is a lot more square inches.  I know my princecraft dealer told me to avoid them for that reason.  Now with fibreglass boats, I don't know.

True, I have a 16’ aluminum bowrider on wobble rollers and have a near identical spare trailer I was thinking of changing over to bunks or bunk roller slides while it’s empty. 

I worried about pressure points on my hull from the wheels but it hasn’t done any damage so far and I’ve towed it loaded heavy with gear, double layer of waterlogged, rotten floors and 100’s of lbs in waterlogged foam. I think alum hulls are tougher than people think. 

so I’m interested to see what the op gets for suggestions. I’m torn between nylon bunk slides/glides and bunk style roller tracks. 
if the nylon/UHMW glides work well I’m going that route

On 6/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

so I’m interested to see what the op gets for suggestions. I’m torn between nylon bunk slides/glides and bunk style roller tracks. 
if the nylon/UHMW glides work well I’m going that route

Based on watching that guy destroy his boat when it slid off those ice like bunks onto the pavement I decided to recarpet my bunks a few years back. To assist the crank factor I spray the carpet on the bunks with some lube just before I retrieve the boat, not WD-40. I'm 66 1/2 and only use 1 hand to crank, at least my buddy does, I always end up in the truck! Me no stupido. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I see guys unhook their boats before backing in and I always think to myself that they are insane. 

On bunks?  Boat isn't going anywhere.  Now rollers is a whole other ballgame lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Based on watching that guy destroy his boat when it slid off those ice like bunks onto the pavement 

I’ve seen some painful launch fails on video.

I just dumped a glass boat at the landfill. Unhooked, backed up the hill, put it in drive and punched the gas...bye!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’ve seen some painful launch fails on video.

I just dumped a glass boat at the landfill. Unhooked, backed up the hill, put it in drive and punched the gas...bye!

I did the same thing with my old traveler I had. I loaded all the junk in it,landfill bound. Cost me $10.

Next day,there was a brand new 14 ft Sylvan on the trailer.

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I did the same thing with my old traveler I had. I loaded all the junk in it,landfill bound. Cost me $10.

Next day,there was a brand new 14 ft Sylvan on the trailer.

The only reason I’ll buy a glass boat is for the motor that’s on it and the trailer that’s under it. 

45 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

The only reason I’ll buy a glass boat is for the motor that’s on it and the trailer that’s under it. 

Spend a day casting and driving around out of a bass boat.

it’s hard to go back lol

im spoiled, my old man runs a newer 19.5 foot alumacraft with a four stroke yamaha just an absolutely beautiful fishing rig…and I can’t stand fishing out of it almost always. 

I like it when I have to fish when it’s below 0 in the fall, when waves are exceeding 3 feet and if you need to do any sort of trolling…that’s it. I’d rather fish a 2 foot shorter bass boat every other time.

theres just something about being on pad and how glass bass boats drive, and when casting standing a foot off of the water with literally no obstruction

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Spend a day casting and driving around out of a bass boat.

it’s hard to go back lol

im spoiled, my old man runs a newer 19.5 foot alumacraft with a four stroke yamaha just an absolutely beautiful fishing rig…and I can’t stand fishing out of it almost always. 

I like it when I have to fish when it’s below 0 in the fall, when waves are exceeding 3 feet and if you need to do any sort of trolling…that’s it. I’d rather fish a 2 foot shorter bass boat every other time.

theres just something about being on pad and how glass bass boats drive, and when casting standing a foot off of the water with literally no obstruction

I didn’t mean to insult those with glass boats. Agreed... Performance, creature comforts and ride are unparalleled. I’d have one if I owned a cottage and knew the waters well.

The boat that slid off the bunks onto dry land and was virtually destroyed had the then newer polymer slidey material that is as slippery as ice apperently. I have not personally witnessed a boat sliding off carpeted bunks, the exact opposite as the heavier boats tend to stick to the things but the guy that unkooked too early, even for carpeted bunkshe or she  will never do that again, I sure hope not. The 1st thing I was told by the guy I bought our 19' StarCraft from was about the carpeted bunks, he said before winching the boat onto the trailer back the trailer in until you soak the carpet on the bunks real good it did does help winching the heavy boat back onto then trailer. I came up with spraying the lube on the carpeting, that really helps a ton, lierally a ton. No WD-40 please, it dries the carpeting out and deteriorates materials early. WD-40 is not a lube. It diplaces water, thus the WD acronym, 40th formula invented by NASA to keep the rocket ships dry in humid Florida. It lubes temporarily then it dries materials out over time. I had a 1986 Jeep YJ, when it rained unless I sprayed the wires with WD-40 it would never start. Then I noticed it cracked the wires prematurley. Rock and hard place deal.

While off topic, just a bit, ha, glass vs tin. I will take the much better ride on a nice solid Ranger, Bass or Walleye version, at the gas station I'd rather bring the tinny. 

( Is slidey a word? spell check NFG.)

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No thanks. I've seen a guy with the slides on his bunks hit the brakes at a quick yellow light and the whole boat pushed his winch post right off the trailer and thru the back windshield of his SUV. 

Seen a boat slide off the trailer after leaving a stop sign when the winch strap snapped. 

Seen several boats slide off the trailer at the ramp, before they were in the water. 

I will stick to my long carpeted bunks, thanks. 

If your having trouble winching the boat on the trailer, get a bigger winch. Simple. 

S. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

No thanks. I've seen a guy with the slides on his bunks hit the brakes at a quick yellow light and the whole boat pushed his winch post right off the trailer and thru the back windshield of his SUV. 

Seen a boat slide off the trailer after leaving a stop sign when the winch strap snapped. 

Seen several boats slide off the trailer at the ramp, before they were in the water. 

I will stick to my long carpeted bunks, thanks. 

If your having trouble winching the boat on the trailer, get a bigger winch. Simple. 

S. 

If the winch strap snaps, that's what the secondary chain and hook are for.  If the boat slid forward on the trailer through his rear window, I'd suspect cheesy rear tie downs or none at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisherman said:

If the winch strap snaps, that's what the secondary chain and hook are for.  If the boat slid forward on the trailer through his rear window, I'd suspect cheesy rear tie downs or none at all.

I agree, but the trailer slid because of the bunk  slides in all scenarios.

People are stupid. 

Have you seen the people at boat launches??

Any surprise things aren't strapped down properly?

See the trailers going down the roads?? 

I know my stuff isn't going anywhere, ever. Over rated everything. 

S. 

Well then the same could be said for rollers.  Adequately sized tie downs prevent any unscheduled launchings.  I go to the boat launch for entertainment on saturdays and sundays.  If I had a longer range lens, I could probably make some hilarious videos.  Best I ever saw was a Mario backing up, jack knifed and drove his stainless prop right through the next guys truck door. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Well then the same could be said for rollers.  Adequately sized tie downs prevent any unscheduled launchings.  I go to the boat launch for entertainment on saturdays and sundays.  If I had a longer range lens, I could probably make some hilarious videos.  Best I ever saw was a Mario backing up, jack knifed and drove his stainless prop right through the next guys truck door. 

What’s a Mario?