a few questions about buying used utility trailer

huzzsaba

I'm interested in buying a small utility to haul my inflatable boat around rather than constantly deflating and inflating.

I have my eyes on one that fits the bill and size as well.  Seller had never got it registered, and will sell it as is.

Here are my questions:

1) How easy is it to register a used (never previously registered) trailer?

2) Do I need plates on it to bring it back home? Or is bill of sale enough?

3) How easy is it to register?  Ive heard I can mention it is homemade, which I believe it is.

Thanks.

Answers: 

Homemade trailer: register

A homemade trailer – one you built yourself – must still be registered.

Bring your driver’s licence or other government-issued identification (for example, your passport to the ServiceOntario centre to register a homemade trailer.

If your homemade trailer weighs more than 900 kg empty

You can weigh your trailer at any Ministry of Transportation Motor Vehicle Inspection Station. Look for the green-and-white sign along highways. There are more than 12,000 stations across Ontario.

Once you confirm the trailer’s weight exceeds 900kg, bring the following documents to the ServiceOntario centre:

• a weight slip, the document proving the weight of the trailer when empty
    • weigh your trailer and get a weight slip at a:
      • grain scale
      • recyclers
      • CAT (Caterpillar) scale
      • municipal dump (if equipped)
  • a signed letter stating ownership that includes the following details:
    • description of body type (for example, dimensions, covering, number of axels, etc.)
    • declaration that trailer is homemade
    • year trailer was built

Cost and delivery

Cost

The cost to get a plate, permit and validation sticker is $72. Remember you only have to register a trailer once.

If you are registering a new trailer, or a used or homemade trailer, you must pay applicable taxes:

Any outstanding defaulted fines against the registrant (person who is registering the trailer) must be paid to be able to register the trailer.

Payment

You can use any of the following payment methods at the ServiceOntario centre:

• credit card: Visa, Mastercard
  • debit
  • cash
  • certified personal or company cheque or money order made payable to Minister of Finance

Delivery

Once you register your recreational or utility trailer at the ServiceOntario centre, you get your plate and permit right away – all in one visit.

Attach the licence plate to the back of your trailer where it is clearly visible. Always carry your permit, or a copy of it, to show to a police officer if asked.

Updated: May 5, 2021
Published: May 18, 2016
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, irishfield said:

LOL.. "just drop by any MTO scale with your unlicenced trailer and have it weighed"... 

my thoughts exactly. So...a person must tow the trailer on a trailer, figure out how to load and unload and all at the mto scale. I bet they’d love that

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Lol, looks like its not as easy then to register an unregistered homemade trailer. I was thinking of the same thing of trailering it on another trailer.  All good deals are out of town so it really makes it not so good of a deal once you factor in everything.  Easiest would be to drive it back unplated with bill of sale and register it once its home, but dont want to take a chance with the 1.5 hour drive back down the 401

Edited by huzzsaba

6 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Easiest would be to drive it back unplated with bill of sale and register it once its home, but dont want to take a chance with the 1.5 hour drive back 

your trailer will not exceed 900kg empty so you don’t need the weigh in crap. I’m sure an estimated weight and carrying capacity will suffice. (Axle rating minus dry weight of trailer materials) lots of people register trailers as homemade, even if they are not (ie bought without ownership because seller can’t find it)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akaShag said:

I bet that if you walked along a mile of the 401 you would FIND a trailer plate!  😁

The plastic plate mount on my new box trailer broke off the first time I used it. Fortunately I did not lose my plate, remounted it using sheet metal. 

I built a trailer, went to service ontario and said I wanted plates for my homemade trailer, paid 40 bucks and got a plate and ownership. I think they may have told me to write the vin number they gave me on the trailer.

You are not allowed to put your boat trailer plates on another trailer but it is fairly common practice to have one plate for multiple trailers. Works well if you have multiple home made trailers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dara said:

I built a trailer, went to service ontario and said I wanted plates for my homemade trailer, paid 40 bucks and got a plate and ownership. I think they may have told me to write the vin number they gave me on the trailer.

You are not allowed to put your boat trailer plates on another trailer but it is fairly common practice to have one plate for multiple trailers. Works well if you have multiple home made trailers

Especially when they are the same colour and you forgot to write the vin on it. 

but I’d rather shell out $40 so I didn’t have to switch the plates. Easier to sell it later also

I’ve registered a few trailers as homemade.  It’s pretty easy with small trailers.  I’ve also slapped on old plate on with zip ties To bring a new boat or trailer home on several occasions.   The odds you’ll get pinched are very slim.  I’d wager 20 percent of trailers aren’t properly licensed, maybe more.  Anyway as the guys above mentioned It really shouldn’t be very hard to do.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...