Nipissing West Arm

16 Footer

My 3 fishing buddies and I have booked a cottage for a week in August at Mashkinonje Lodge located in the north West Arm. We have never been that area and are looking forward to going there to fish for bass, pike & walleye. Any fishing recommendations in the West Arm and experiences with the lodge would be much appreciated. Thanks.  

Fishing Budies.jpg

My wife and I have been going to Mashkinonje a couple times a year for the last 6 or so years. It was just sold and we haven't met the new owners yet but we're heading there in 2 weeks. The cabins are nice and the previous owner put in all new docks and they also have gas there too.

I never fished in that area myself but rather boated out to the West Bay but I'm sure others can help you with that.

You'll enjoy your stay there and the area is beautiful too.

The view in the evening

014.jpg

Edited by lew
  • Like 3

Word has it the waters around the Big Cut are pretty productive. It's a cool ride through the cut, and you can make your way down to Monetville. Last time I was there, someone was perma-squatting in the area, which was a sore point with some people. Wish someone would have taken it down their tents and stuff (Hi CO), cuz it was a really nice campsite/shore lunch spot that was unavailable to others.

But agree with Lew re: West Bay. Have had very productive days in some bays, which shall remain unidentified ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got back from our week at West Arm. The accommodation was good, the weather was hot and the fishing was very slow. We caught several pike, a bass, a sheep head and no walleye. We released all and had brought enough food with us on the trip to still eat well. My buddy had a muskie on but it broke his leader, he was using the wrong type of leader.

20210826_080200.jpg

20210822_080230.jpg

20210826_085016.jpg

20210826_160544.jpg

20210826_160445.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lew said:

Good to hear you enjoyed Mashkinonje and got into a few fish as well.

We're heading back up next Saturday for another week.

Life is funny Lew...People come our way to vacation and we head up north...

3 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

Just got back from our week at West Arm. The accommodation was good, the weather was hot and the fishing was very slow. We caught several pike, a bass, a sheep head and no walleye. We released all and had brought enough food with us on the trip to still eat well. My buddy had a muskie on but it broke his leader, he was using the wrong type of leader.

20210826_080200.jpg

20210822_080230.jpg

20210826_085016.jpg

20210826_160544.jpg

20210826_160445.jpg

Edited by John
PLEASE DELETE

16 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

We cleaned up and they clean and check as well. The shower is small but other than that it is an OK cottage.

Yeah we have stayed in that one and other cottages at Mashkinonje many times. It will be interesting to see how the new owners manage it.

30 minutes ago, John said:

Yeah we have stayed in that one and other cottages at Mashkinonje many times. It will be interesting to see how the new owners manage it.

We talked to the new owners several times, they do daily cottage visits to look after any customers concerns and  plan to do some improvement renovations later this fall. We were treated very well by the owners.

17 minutes ago, 16 Footer said:

plan to do some improvement renovations later this fall. 

We always stay in cabin 5 and the shower is tiny and when we were up in June they said they were hoping to get a bigger shower installed later this year.

Your right, they do seem like good people.