Newer midsize vehicle choices that can tow 3500 pounds?

Sometime ago I posted a thread looking for a older but capable 4 x 4 opinions. 
it is something I never went through with and now, because I’m looking to make a career change, I will likely need something with a little better fuel economy (for commuting) and reliability. 

Any thoughts on vehicle so I can tow a boat or a tent trailer with? AWD would be nice, but if this junction the only criteria it needs to have is semi-decent on fuel and capable of towing up to 2500 pounds. 

Full sized pick ups/SUVs or anything with an eight cylinder is definitely out of the equation. 

Hoping for something less than 10 years old and less than $15k

i’m actually thinking about going back to a minivan, God help me LOL

I used to do the f150 4x4---and there was a time it took $150 to fill it

therefore I downsized to a 2 litre ford escape with a 3500 lb TC

good on gas---4wd

if I need to run to the lumber yard or dump---I have a utility trailer

too many years I run around with an empty box truck---just to say I drove one

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bushart said:

good on gas---4wd

I have a company truck now. All expenses paid. 4x4. And I love it, but, I think about paying that out of my pocket going forward, so I’m with you. Right down to the utility trailer and all. 

2 L, that’s a late model escape? eco-boost? I didn’t realize they could tow. 

3 hours ago, bushart said:

good on gas---4wd

11 years ago I bought a 4 year old 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7L, have a 3500 lb. 4X8 landscape trailer, still happy with the combo. They say it will tow 5,000, IMHO 3500 would be my max. It was low mileage, still under 100,000 km.

Edited by dave524

1 hour ago, bushart said:

I like the idea of small displacement with tow capacity. Not a new concept with Ford. The late 80’s Tbirds turbo coupes.

My only concern is the short wheelbase for towing. I’ve got a 16’ alum boat. All my towing is low centre of gravity. Should be ok I’d think. I’m not towing a glass boat or boler camper. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

23 minutes ago, GBW said:

Ever looked at a Kia or Hyundai SUV?  They are decent on gas for an SUV.  Waiting on CCMT to provide real numbers on his newer one.  

I’d be open to them as long as they don’t have cvt transmissions. We almost bought a murano for the wife until I found out about the trans. Game over. I’ll look into them. 

25 minutes ago, dave524 said:

11 years ago I bought a 4 year old 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7L, have a 3500 lb. 4X8 landscape trailer, still happy with the combo. They say it will tow 5,000, IMHO 3500 would be my max. It was low mileage, still under 100,000 km.

I’d be open to one if I can get a low miler. I think they ran until 2010-ish which I’d consider. I like the boxy style that reminds me more of the earlier boxy classic suvs like the early 4runners and pathfinders. Truckish. The reason I’d like to be max 10 years old is due to unibody corrosion issues. 

3 hours ago, bushart said:

I've got a 17 foot boat-----boat and motor is a 1000 lbs

trailer maybe 300?

when my livewell is full bout 3000 lbs---handles her well 😎

I’d like to know what mine is fully loaded with coolers, camping gear, 3 batts, kicker, bow troller and food. I figure 2k +

+ beer, 3499lbs. Perfectly legal.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’d be open to one if I can get a low miler. I think they ran until 2010-ish which I’d consider. I like the boxy style that reminds me more of the earlier boxy classic suvs like the early 4runners and pathfinders. Truckish. The reason I’d like to be max 10 years old is due to unibody corrosion issues. 

Yeah, mine looks like a Jeep still. The Jeep dealer here is next to the Kia Dealer, with the new models it is hard to tell where the Jeeps end and the Kia's begin. Think the Renegade was designed by the same team as the Kia Soul

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

You might want to look at a Honda Ridgeline.  I have an 06 that I bought new and now has 229000 MILES and virtually trouble free other than maintenance and wear items.  It has a 5000 lb tow capacity, very roomy on the inside and the normal Honda build quality.  It is probably the best value vehicle purchase I have ever made.

The worst truck I ever owned was a 2012 250SD with the ticking time bomb 6.7L diesel.

I wouldn't be afraid of an older model but we don't have salt roads to deal with.

Edited by Crimsongulf
  • Like 1

Toyota Venza will meet your towing criteria. It’s a V6 with 3500 lbs capacity  and it doesn’t have a rubber band transmission.  We have one.  It’s ok.  But it’s a swoopy vehicle, and kinda boring.  But, it does the job, and it will tow.

Edited by porkpie

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 6:10 PM, dave524 said:

If you are still looking , I took the Liberty in for a brake job and my mechanic, good guy, told me that everything was badly corroded and there were other issues it didn't make any sense to throw any more money at it, it would be better put the cash to something newer. He let me keep the loaner for the day, again great guy, and after searching local dealer's web sites, I ended up the same day with a 2014 GMC Terrain with the 3.6L  V6, it feels a lot bigger than the Liberty inside, will tow 3500 pounds, the interior is far more luxurious then the spartan Jeep, the rear seats have the most legroom of virtually any vehicle I have ever been in and personally I like the boxy styling , screams GM rather than an Asian import.  Was under your $15K by quite a bit

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, dave524 said:

If you are still looking , I took the Liberty in for a brake job and my mechanic, good guy, told me that everything was badly corroded and there were other issues it didn't make any sense to throw any more money at it, it would be better put the cash to something newer. He let me keep the loaner for the day, again great guy, and after searching local dealer's web sites, I ended up the same day with a 2014 GMC Terrain with the 3.6L  V6, it feels a lot bigger than the Liberty inside, will tow 3500 pounds, the interior is far more luxurious then the spartan Jeep, the rear seats have the most legroom of virtually any vehicle I have ever been in and personally I like the boxy styling , screams GM rather than an Asian import.  Was under your $15K by quite a bit

I really like the terrain. Almost bought one back around that time. Black leather interior. Might be time to look again. I still haven’t bought anything waiting for the bankroll to grow. 

12 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I really like the terrain. Almost bought one back around that time. Black leather interior. Might be time to look again. I still haven’t bought anything waiting for the bankroll to grow. 

Just make sure it had the 300 horse V6 , the 2.4 L inline 4 is pretty anemic from what I read and will only tow 1000 pounds

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

don't know if your still on hunt for a vehicle but I bought a 14ft tiller with 25hp  last march and used my parent minivan to tow it and had no issues. it's a 2011 toyota sienna v6. it is FWD so that's a bit of a draw back if I'm at a steeper launch trying to pull my boat up but otherwise no problems, on the highway its actually pretty good, the van itself weighs about 4500lbs and my boat plus the trailer is probably another 1250lbs and she still averages right around 10L/100km highway. The sienna is rated to 3500lbs and if you found an AWD model I have no doubt it will be absolutely fine, might knock the mileage a tad if you get AWD but shouldn't be too much. I really like the minivan cuz I can have all my rods laid out inside and not bouncing around the bed of a truck. In my opinion a minivan is probably one of the best vehicles for towing a boat (under 3500lbs) so long you don't plan on taking your boat to real backcountry, hard to access lakes. Plus as a bonus if you buy a toyota minivan and keep up with basic maintenance it'll live for an annoyingly long time. 

van+boat.jpg

• Like 1