New here .... Muskie near Muskoka

I'd like to say 'hi' first.

I grew up in Muskoka, was an avid angler. Had to move west for work, but I sill come back in the summer when I can. Caught a ton of Pike, Walleye and Bass over the years, but never a Muskie.

What is a good choice for Muskie fishing close to Muskoka? I don't need to catch the biggest one ever, nor am I aiming to do anything over than catch & release. I just would like to catch one.

I've been looking at Kashe lake and Blackstone & Crane lake. Also Haliburton. I fished Morrison lake a few times in the past few years but I don't think there are many Muskie in there. MNR lake data list Rosseau & Joseph as containing Muskie, but I've never heard of anyone catching one in either lake. Pike yes, but no Muskie.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan C.

16 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I am aware all those lakes you list have musky, but I have never targetted them there. You can add Sparrow L and Gloucester Pool to that list as well. Personally, I would drive a bit ang go to Kawarthas

Yeah I was actually considering that option. From what I know there are greater numbers in those lakes.

If you actually want to catch one, head to the Kawarthas.   Crane and a few other were popular years ago, but like everything they got a tonne of pressure and it's definitely not like it used to be.

11 hours ago, BillM said:

If you actually want to catch one, head to the Kawarthas.   Crane and a few other were popular years ago, but like everything they got a tonne of pressure and it's definitely not like it used to be.

Same with the kawarthas. Everyone is a musky pro staff these days. Its brutal. 

S. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:53 AM, Sinker said:

Same with the kawarthas. Everyone is a musky pro staff these days. Its brutal. 

S. 

I make a few trips a year to the Kawarthas to get my confidence back up before heading home to GBay, lol!     I can't imagine the pressure those systems get day in and day out.

For me: Early season is slower. Mid season is the "quickest" action, multi fish days would be the norm. Late season not as many numbers but fish are heavier. So yes...go in mid season! Only thing to watch out for is the water temps. Once water gets around 80 or warmer best to lay off the fish as mortality will be much higher

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rizzo said:

For me: Early season is slower. Mid season is the "quickest" action, multi fish days would be the norm. Late season not as many numbers but fish are heavier. So yes...go in mid season! Only thing to watch out for is the water temps. Once water gets around 80 or warmer best to lay off the fish as mortality will be much higher

Good point about water temp. I don't want to kill any fish. At least Muskies.

3 hours ago, NathanRobert said:

Cast or troll?

I generally troll for big Pike, but I know that some people fish Muskie more like Bass.

Casting, 100%.  I don't bother trolling until the water temps dip.