Poachers get their due.

Fisherman

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

As long as the boat and equipment seize is permanent and auctioned off the punishment is harsh enough.

Those fish were definitely headed to market without a single doubt

They seize,but if fines are paid,they get them back in most cases. Back 20+ years ago, there were 4 boats locked up to a tree at a motel for 4 weeks. Large tag on them. They sat there til the fines were paid. Owners got their boats back.

The charge was over harvesting perch . I watched as the CO was over 2 miles away, watching through high tec bio,s . They had them solid . Catch,take to ramp,unload,and out again they went . They were swapping out coolers.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, misfish said:

They seize,but if fines are paid,they get them back in most cases. Back 20+ years ago, there were 4 boats locked up to a tree at a motel for 4 weeks. Large tag on them. They sat there til the fines were paid. Owners got their boats back.

The charge was over harvesting perch . I watched as the CO was over 2 miles away, watching through high tec bio,s . They had them solid . Catch,take to ramp,unload,and out again they went . They were swapping out coolers.

Won’t be long before they use drones like the MOL does on construction sites. 

And good on them, crack down and seize it all. 

12 minutes ago, pics said:

I wonder if that's how Scugog got fished out..

I'll bet that less than a few percent of poachers ever get caught and how many of that small number get a wallet busting fine and do it again anyway.   We used to see a particular group on Simcoe that would make repeated trips back to the car on shore with whities and then go get more.  Unfortunately no CO's around to deal with it.

• Sad 1

We rented a cottage on Sturgeon a few years ago. We watched a group of people sharing a motel room, a group of about 12 people. They fished every day, all day keeping everything that came over the gunnels, which was mostly pannies. When the buckets got full, they would head to shore where the buckets were grabbed and taken to the room where a team of people were waiting to clean them up.

This went on fro most of the week we were there. I have to suspect that they were selling the fish/fillets somewhere....

HH

• Sad 1

It says their fishing equipment was seized.  The fishing boat and trailer were seized at the scene, but it doesn't sound like they were forfeited?  And their vehicle???

Edited by akaShag

I just want you to know that here in michigan our DNR is keeping a watch on fish poaching as well. We all need to keep this resource in check so we can have fish for our future generation! This is my first post but and i highly value conservation and its impact on everyone to conserve is protect!

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/2dac033