Damaged prop

Well the title says it all.  Bought it new last year and I was hoping to get a few years out of it before making any repairs, but sometimes I underestimate my judgement lol.  I filed all the blades down so they are kinda sorta smooth now.  Anyways I’ve never changed a prop before (it’s a 2020 Yamaha) and was wondering if there’s anything I should know before taking it apart and installing a new one.  I watched a few vids so it doesn’t look too difficult.  

D1293735-3AC4-4D32-B2C0-6A532609764E.jpeg

DA06F7BC-D1CC-43AA-A112-ECE522F4BE8F.jpeg

B4EC596F-83C2-4904-BA89-1291F1523BE5.jpeg

Remove cotterpin, spin off the prop nut.  Check to see if there is any crap or fishing line wrapped around the shaft, then hit it with a very light coat of marine grease and re-install.  FYI there is an outfit called Citywide welding down in toronto that can fix that up good as new.  I had one done there years ago and it turned out great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pull prop, take to Citywide Propeller Repair on Drew Road in Mississauga for repair, reinstall prop, go boating. ;) 

You could also put a new prop on, get this one repaired and have a spare. I have 4 props for my boat. :)

Address: 1867 Drew Rd, Mississauga, ON L5S 1J5

Phone: (905) 612-8040

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Pull prop, take to Citywide Propeller Repair on Drew Road in Mississauga for repair, reinstall prop, go boating. ;) 

You could also put a new prop on, get this one repaired and have a spare. I have 4 props for my boat. :)

Address: 1867 Drew Rd, Mississauga, ON L5S 1J5

Phone: (905) 612-8040

X2. Highly recommend this place took my rig there when I broke off my skeg last season. Straightened and repaired for $150/$175 can’t recall for sure. Had it done in one day. They even repainted my prop and lower unit for no charge. Great customer service. 

• Thanks 1

ya easy to get off. For me the hardest part is getting the dang cotter pin out in the tight quarters. After that just turn the nut counter clockwise and should be able to slider her off. Definitely don't use that prop as it is motor will vibrate like crazy and you may damage something else!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got it delivered yesterday and installed with zero issues.  Best to use an adjustable wrench as opposed to channel locks to loosen the bolt lol.  Pin was a little tricky to get back in.  Just going to throw the old prop in the boat hoping to never use it again.  Thanks for the feedback thou.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, LostAnotherOne said:

Got it delivered yesterday and installed with zero issues.  Best to use an adjustable wrench as opposed to channel locks to loosen the bolt lol.  Pin was a little tricky to get back in.  Just going to throw the old prop in the boat hoping to never use it again.  Thanks for the feedback thou.

Always a good idea to pick up a few new cotter pins and replace them each time you pull one out.

• Like 1