Starcraft Boat rebuild

Sinker

So, after 28 years of beating up my boat, the options were buy a new one, or rebuild mine. New boats are ridiculously expensive, and good used ones even more, so I rebuilt mine. Its a 1993 Starcraft 16 Widebody. Nothing fancy, but it has served me very well, and is very versatile. I take this rig to backwoods speck lakes, and troll the great lakes on the right days, and also hunt it right until I can no longer break the ice, so its seen its share of conditions, been swamped twice, and sunk at the dock once Lol. I dont think i could ever part with it to be honest. Anyways, here's some pics start to finish. 

20210322_154345.jpg

20210323_142619.jpg

20210329_171720.jpg

20210330_180116.jpg

20210330_180132.jpg

20210409_193232.jpg

20210410_194437.jpg

20210410_194501.jpg

20210411_201859.jpg

20210413_210035.jpg

20210413_210105.jpg

20210414_194342.jpg

20210420_163723.jpg

20210420_163701.jpg

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, misfish said:

That is one hell of a  rebuild buddy . Very nice workmanship.

Why is it that, all great fishermen, drive RAMS ? :good:

Thanks buddy!

I've had a few RAMS and never had a single issue with any of them. Just get in and go. 

S. 

• Like 1

Awesome, looks like a great build. How were your rivets? I’m up to my eyeballs in my 16.5” Starcraft SS. It’s a 1975. Similar hull and construction to yours except I have a more vertical freeboard than yours. Yours looks like it would feel much more open. 
Did you put any floatation in it?

6 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Awesome, looks like a great build. How were your rivets? I’m up to my eyeballs in my 16.5” Starcraft SS. It’s a 1975. Similar hull and construction to yours except I have a more vertical freeboard than yours. Yours looks like it would feel much more open. 
Did you put any floatation in it?

My foam was all above the floor, and bone dry so I left it alone. It works, because I found out the hard way several times lol....

I replaced hundreds of rivets. I have to thank Irishfield for his knowledge on that part of the project. He led me to the right tools and places to get supplies. The solid rivets took a few tries to get good at, but once you've done a few, they are easy, and strong. I replaced every single pop rivet in the boat. 

What are you powering it with? The SS is a much bigger boat than mine. Deeper for sure, not sure about width. Mine is 84" wide at the widest point of the gunnels. Long transom, but no splash well.....the reason I swamped it twice. Both times I was coming to shore on a beach on lake Ontario with a full load of duck decoys and gear, with breaking waves. My own fault. No damage or injuries lol

S. 

Edited by Sinker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

That’s one slick looking rig!  You can take a 50 year old Starcraft and make it new again!

Yep. It would cost me 30 grand to buy a similar new boat right now. I almost bought an 18 foot starcraft freedom with a 90 yammy tiller, but my wife made me a deal that if we spend the money on rebuilding this one, in 5 years we buy a new big boat for the great lakes, and traveling around on. How could I pass that up? The complete rebuild cost me about $1800 all in, and took almost a month, working on it in the garage after work in the evenings. The worste part was covid and sourcing/waiting for materials. Could have done it in a week if I had all the materials on hand at one time.

S. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sinker said:

My foam was all above the floor, and bone dry so I left it alone. It works, because I found out the hard way several times lol....

I replaced hundreds of rivets. I have to thank Irishfield for his knowledge on that part of the project. He led me to the right tools and places to get supplies. The solid rivets took a few tries to get good at, but once you've done a few, they are easy, and strong. I replaced every single pop rivet in the boat. 

What are you powering it with? The SS is a much bigger boat than mine. Deeper for sure, not sure about width. Mine is 84" wide at the widest point of the gunnels. Long transom, but no splash well.....the reason I swamped it twice. Both times I was coming to shore on a beach on lake Ontario with a full load of duck decoys and gear, with breaking waves. My own fault. No damage or injuries lol

S. 

Great to hear the floatation foam worked!

I wondered how you swamped it. Mines only around 72” at the gunnels. 61” beam. But it has the big splash well. I’ve got a 50 hp evinrude triple right now but a 70hp on the stand for this winters rebuild plans. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Hey, what was the original floor you removed, looks like standard deck boards. Or was that a temporary overlay installed when the floors started to go soft? 

what are the panels you used on the top of the Port side bench?

Well, the original floor when I bought this boat in '93 was 1/2" plywood, with vinyl, I ripped that out 15 years ago and re did the floor with presure treated fence boards ( cheap rebuild that time) I used it that way for 15 years with intentions of going to aluminum plate, or checkerplate, but just never got around to it. 

The panels on the side are a composite plastice/wood. They were a type of siding I used many years ago, and kept a bunch around when the job was finished. They don't fade, absorb water, or rot, but they are heavy, and not very strong laterally. They worked good there though, and will last forever. 

S. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, porkpie said:

Any chance I could get the type of paint and paint code you used.  I’d like to repaint my duck boat this season.  It’s a real patchwork of paint at the moment!

This is the second time I've painted this boat. First time was 15 years ago, and I did a TON of prep work then, and the paint stuck really well. I just used exterior latex paint, believe it or not. I used the same stuff this time, and just sanded everything and cleaned it well before painting. Its ultra flat exterior latex from sherwin williams. They just shook their heads when I told them it was for a boat, said it would never last, but if I get 15 years out of it, I'm fine with that LOL ......Its just a fishing and hunting boat man, doesn't need to be fancy. I can get you the actual code when I'm home if you want, but I just picked it from their colour wall and went with it. 

S. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, mamona said:

Very nicely done. I do not think you will ever sell this boat. 
Plus all the story behind the scenes :)

Yes, a lot of history there for sure. A lot of PB's, a lot of new species, a lot of close calls, and some of the best times of my life in that boat. My kids too! My grandkids will probably use it once my kids and I are dead and gone lol 

S. 

4 hours ago, Sinker said:

The panels on the side are a composite plastice/wood. They were a type of siding I used many years ago, and kept a bunch around when the job was finished. They don't fade, absorb water, or rot, but they are heavy, and not very strong laterally. They worked good there though, and will last forever. 

S. 

That’s clever, and looks good too. Again, great build

20 hours ago, porkpie said:

If you have the paint code I’d appreciate it.  It looks almost exactly like the factory paint on my old 16 foot SSV.

I will try to remember to get that for you. Its a little lighter than the lund green, but close enough. That's what I was going for. 

S. 

• Thanks 1