Trip planning ideas

fishdawg

So fingers crossed our family fly in trip out of Cochrane happens in mid August. 

Starting to plan our drive.. planning to take our time coming from Niagara. Having never spent any time seeing the Georgian Bay area before, we are planning to spend a day going up the 400 to Sudbury before staying the night & doing Sudbury to cochrane the next day. Just wondering if there's any scenic/worthwhile spots along the way worth stopping & checking out. Also any spots where me and my son can stop and toss a line from shore for a few minuteshere & there? Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:01 AM, fishdawg said:

So fingers crossed our family fly in trip out of Cochrane happens in mid August. 

Starting to plan our drive.. planning to take our time coming from Niagara. Having never spent any time seeing the Georgian Bay area before, we are planning to spend a day going up the 400 to Sudbury before staying the night & doing Sudbury to cochrane the next day. Just wondering if there's any scenic/worthwhile spots along the way worth stopping & checking out. Also any spots where me and my son can stop and toss a line from shore for a few minuteshere & there? Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

A scenic stop but a bit of a hike is Killarney provincial park. George lake on the interior side or a short hike to the Georgian bay side. Pay access though. Fishing....not so much, or at least for my hack ways. 

if you’re travelling with a canoe or inflatable, the Wanapeti river (on the Killarney road) is an easy paddle. You can paddle all the way up to the ghost town of Burwash and see the abandoned jail. 

Personally I would save the side trip for another time.  If you are going on a fly-in trip you want your cold and frozen stuff to stay that way as long as possible.  Cochrane isn't too bad for a one day trip. We pass through it on our way to the Nipigon.. we don't have to worry too much about thawing..