Light weight battery for my float boat trolling motor ?

misfish

This might help you decide o what it will do. 

To calculate how long a battery will run a motor, let’s have a look at an average setup:

• 30 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor – max 30 amp draw
  • 35 amp hour (Ah) AGM battery
  • and a 50 Ah battery as well
  Amps drawn Runtime with 35 Ah Runtime with 50 Ah
Speed setting Max Medium Low Max Medium Low Max Medium Low
30 lb trolling motor 30 amps 15 amps 5 amps 1.2 hours 2.3 hours 6 hours 1.7 hours 3.3 hours 10 hours

The table above will give you an idea of how long a 30 lb trolling motor will run with a 35 Ah and a 50 Ah battery at various speeds.

Running the motor at full speed will draw 30 amps per hour, draining the battery in a little more than an hour.

Running the motor at half speed will draw 15 amps per hour, meaning you will get 2:20 minutes runtime.

Running the motor at the lowest speed setting will draw 5 amps per hour, so you will get 7 hours of run time.

That’s not that bad!

• Like 2

Without a doubt Lithium is the way to go if you have a big wallet 

I got a 18 amp lithium for my fishfinder when the package arrived, I thought I got ripped off because the package was so light there just couldn’t be that big of a battery in it

well it was in it and it’s great it is half the weigh of a 9 amp battery and lasts 4 times as long 

5 hours ago, Northerner1212 said:

I’ve been running a 60AH Chinese battery since last year so far it’s been great runs my 30 lb trolling motor and graph most of the weekend and it’s half price of a Dakota I know you get what you pay for but I gave it a try 

48426E62-5F8B-4050-A346-084CC3FF3129.png

dont underestimate the "chinese" batteries. Because guess what...all lithium batteries are made in china. The best you can get is "assembled in USA" whatever the hell that means.

My father is actively involved in lithium mining and processing. Currently there are no lithium battery manufacturers for these types of batteries anywhere in the world but china.

I needed new batteries for the boat last year and heavily considered going lithium but decided it was still too early. Ive been hearing a lot of terrible stories to be honest so far about their longevity and reliability, not to mention the astronomical prices for "high quality ones"

I decided to let the pros and those with deeper pockets do their 10 year test run before I took the plunge. So far we havent seen anyone use a lithium battery in a boat for more than 5 years. Whereas i know the AGM's in my boat have a 4 year full replacement warranty and will likely last upwards of 7 years or even beyond. 

The weight savings for my boat had me really really considering it though because a boat like mine is super impacted by weight distribution and total. Heck i changed trolling motors this year and lost 2mph off of my top end! Could you imagine I cut 150lbs from my boat?

im not pooping on lithiums i just really had a lot of things to consider. If im fishing from a toon though, im going for it, the weight savings are so astronomically more important.

Edited by AKRISONER

14 hours ago, Costlesscatchmore said:

Hey ino its not cheap but we have been putting these battery's in a few aircraft  and every one loves one you can buy them for 515 at aircraft spruce Brantford heres a link https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/11-13907.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfXO_cvC8AIVjPbjBx0PGgi7EAQYASABEgJVM_D_BwE

Lol I’d think that the guys putting them in planes need them to run pretty consistently 

All I can say is, it,s nice to have  good friends . Got a PM that this fella had a acid sealed 50 AH he did not have a use for . I was on it like a white fish on a goby.

New and this thing weighs 23 lbs and will do the job I am sure . My only concern is that the old motor will draw like crazy, as it is an older model . I will see how it goes,but with the HUGE savings I just got,I can see a new motor in the near future.

Shout out to me pal Rob .:good::Gonefishing:

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 5:23 PM, misfish said:

All I can say is, it,s nice to have  good friends . Got a PM that this fella had a acid sealed 50 AH he did not have a use for . I was on it like a white fish on a goby.

New and this thing weighs 23 lbs and will do the job I am sure . My only concern is that the old motor will draw like crazy, as it is an older model . I will see how it goes,but with the HUGE savings I just got,I can see a new motor in the near future.

Shout out to me pal Rob .:good::Gonefishing:

Wait for minkotta to catch up with brushless tech and you’ll be set. The power these motors have is ridiculous and the draw is so minimal.

ive basically discovered that I almost never use my motor now on higher than level 3 of 10 regardless of how windy it is. That’s how much power these things have. 

right now only the top top top of the line motors have it from Garmin and lowrance and maybe MG.

I imagine the next gen of minkottas will all be brushless

Edited by AKRISONER