Upper Grand River trout

11 hours ago, Gil Levesque said:

Hi all, Plannin a day or two trout fishing the upper Grand! Been tying flies all winter and wanna use some! Never fished there so im totaly clueless on where to try!  Dont care about size. All c+ R. All suggestions appreciated ! Thanx

You might want to see if the GRCA closed access due to covid. There’s lots of popular places from the first bridge down from the Shan’s dam all the way through Fergus (upriver and downriver) down to Elora. Then downriver of Elora are another handful of access points (Wilson’s flats) in the inverhaugh area. Most access points have parking and signage regarding regs)

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

Yea, the " upper Grand" is considered by many to be a lot farther up than Bellwood. Above hwy 89 it still exists. Unfortunately due to poor planning and cash coppers tile drying their fields, its a dying fishery. 

25 years ago I could catch natural specks fly fishing. Now, carp, small mouth bass and bullheads.

Sad tbh.

Edited by Dano

On 5/12/2021 at 5:49 PM, Dano said:

Yea, the " upper Grand" is considered by many to be a lot farther up than Bellwood. Above hwy 89 it still exists. Unfortunately due to poor planning and cash coppers tile drying their fields, its a dying fishery. 

25 years ago I could catch natural specks fly fishing. Now, carp, small mouth bass and bullheads.

Sad tbh.

There is a fight going on right now up here about the town of Erin wanting to release treated water into the Grand. The issue is the temp of the water will increase enough to finish the natural specks off for good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

There is a fight going on right now up here about the town of Erin wanting to release treated water into the Grand. The issue is the temp of the water will increase enough to finish the natural specks off for good.

Years ago I shot groundhogs about a mile NW of Erin, had a permission for a couple of farms , the creek that crossed one was a branch of the Credit. Yes there was specs in it

Edited by dave524

8 hours ago, dave524 said:

Years ago I shot groundhogs about a mile NW of Erin, had a permission for a couple of farms , the creek that crossed one was a branch of the Credit. Yes there was specs in it

I’ve caught in the Eramosa river upstream from Rockwood. 

Maybe the GRCA should consider building another bottom discharge reservoir upstream of Belwood or Grand Valley and/or encourage farmers to naturalize their creek/river banks. 

On 5/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, John said:

John, I believe that would be the West Branch of the Credit. Either way, it’s not good news, and thanks for mentioning it as we all need to aware of plans that could negatively effect our fisheries. 

• Like 1

Gil, for tips on access, daily conditions and flies that are working, drop in at the Grand River Outfitting and Fly shop in Fergus. Also, you can search “Grand River Access” and you should find what your looking for.