I finally did it, I bought a boat!

mepps

Someone once told me the happiest you'll be as a boat owner, is the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat! I'm expecting to put more money into this boat in the near future, but hopefully the cost of ownership isnt crazy!

Edited by mepps

A quick clip with for the first voyage on Lake O with the family, including new pup! (my oldest son wasn't able to join us, but he will next time!)

I kept things slow and steady as the wife was a bit overwhelmed being on big water, luckily it was nice and calm! I had to speed up the footage to give the illusion of going fast!

https://streamable.com/klrh8m

happy-dog.jpg

Edited by mepps
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, mepps said:

Someone once told me the happiest you'll be as a boat owner, is the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat! I'm expecting to put more money into this boat in the near future, but hopefully the cost of ownership isnt crazy!

Don’t worry about that, if you ensure that you use the boat frequently you won’t regret owning it for a second. 

my suggestion is to take it easy for the first bit on buying new gear for it because you will inevitably notice things that are broken or could use fixing and you’ll want to make sure you have funding to keep those things running rather than doing additions.

unfortunately boats no matter how basic will always be a money pit. But being a guy that uses his boat 10 days +a month in the summer it’s worth it. 

there is also of course the “things you can live with” and things you can’t live without. For me a guy that fishes tournaments I have no choice but to keep my boat running perfectly when it comes to pumps, electronics and motors. 

but owning an old boat is still worth it when you consider the price of a new one.

I’ll tell you right now there will always be something that needs fixing almost always. Right now for me it’s my trailers wiring and a new bilge pump (the old one works, im not a maniac i just need an auto which ive bought ive just been waiting to muster up the energy to dig around in my bilge area which is very difficult to access.) . Inevitably I will fix those tomorrow and something else will break lol just the name of the game!

Edited by AKRISONER

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a great boat.  I remember my first boat was a 14 foot Edson with a 20hp Johnson two stroke.  Nothing like the feeling of getting your first boat.  Now I need to get out in my boat given that some of the work around my house and also around my Mom's house is done.