I finally did it, I bought a boat!

mepps

After years of pounding the pavement, paddling kayaks and canoes, renting boats and hitching ride with friends I've finally taken the plunge! With our cars and credit cards all paid off, we are completely out of debt (besides our mortgage!) and I was able to negotiate some spending with the wife. As I'm sure most of you are aware, finding a used boat in this current market is crazy, but I got "lucky" and found a family selling their second boat at a price. It's a 1993 Sylvan Sea Monster side console with a 2000 40HP Yamaha outboard, and ready to fish! I'm the 3rd owner of the 15.5 footer, and the previous owners always kept in the the garage and provided all of the maintenance and purchase records since 1994. Looking forward to getting the whole family out on the water (which was a problem in a canoe).

For anyone wondering how the negotiations went with the Mrs, she is getting a dog...a fair trade to bring my dream to a reality!

I just got my hitch installed and will be bringing her home as soon as possible! She is neatly tucked away in @JonnyButts driveway and we are already counting down the days to musky season. 

Let the adventures begin!

boat2.jpg

boatmf.jpg

Edited by mepps
  • Like 6

That’s awesome man! Been reading your posts for Eons, really looking forward to seeing what you can do with a boat. Congrats, that’s pretty much exactly what I want. Problem is we already have 2 dogs.. maybe some day.

• Like 1

Phhh found a boat with a yammy at a price that isn’t way too astronomically high...you won the lottery pal.

enjoy your summer fishing it, and next year at this time you can commence dreaming about your next 19 foot boat, and so on lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Besides all the fishing gear, now you have to go find one of those pooper scooper things.

I can use the bailer from the boat, no?

Thanks everyone! Feels like a lottery win for sure. I had been looking for a few months and there aren't a lot of great options unless I wanted to pay over $7500 which wasn't going to happen (unlesss I wanted 20HP and less). The seller said he had 40 people contact them within the first few hours, and even though I offered to buy it unseen (they had posted lots of photos), they said I had to go in person. I got there as another guy was viewing the boat and I started chatting with the owner about fishing and found out he has a place on Lake Nipissing (which I visited years ago at Lakeair during an OFC trip, so we had a great chat). The other guy, who didn't look away from his phone (Facetime) and didn't even say hello when he arrived made a low ball offer, and the owner looked at me and said "You want to buy a boat?" of course I said "Absolutely, I would like nothing more than to own this boat!" and he told the other guy "Sorry, it's sold."

One of the happiest moment in my life, I felt a connection to this boat the moment I laid eyes on it, and the Yammy is exactly what I wanted!

• Like 7

You have to act fast on the good boats.  When I bought mine last year I went with cash for a down payment, then went right to the bank for a draft when I decided I was buying it.. it was a bit of a gamble as it was 3 hours from my house.  Mine is also a Sylvan and it's my second one.. they are good solid boats..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glen said:

How much do you want for it? 
beauty congrats 

lol, I'm confident I could sell it for 3-4 grand more than I paid, but there is no chance I'm parting with it any time soon!

• Like 2

Great buy! Congrats! OK you got one without testing her out first. Not sure how old it is so check to see the deck wood is solid as well as the transom. Get the 'ear muffs' and hook the garden hose up to run it to make sure water is pumping out or impeller needs replaced. Want to ensure she's ready to go when you're ready to go!

2 hours ago, cisco said:

Great buy! Congrats! OK you got one without testing her out first. Not sure how old it is so check to see the deck wood is solid as well as the transom. Get the 'ear muffs' and hook the garden hose up to run it to make sure water is pumping out or impeller needs replaced. Want to ensure she's ready to go when you're ready to go!

Some good advice however muffs don't always give you a good indication of how well the impeller is working since you are applying pressurized water. Better to put it in a lake or a tank, better yet just replace the impeller if you have any doubts at all.