Steering a small out board with the main

floater

I just added a Yamaha 2.5 onto my 14 foot deep and wide. It is sitting next to the main that is a Yamaha 30 two stroke. Other than and EZ steer is there another way to join these two motors so I can steer with the mains tiller arm? The smaller kicker is far enough away I have to lean over to get to the handle. There is no mounting point on the front of the smaller motor for one of those Panther threaded rods.

A long stick

clip a stick on the the handle of the 2.5.

A tiny bungee cord would work, gauge it with a couple holes to hook the bungee tight.

Some polished diamond will would make a sweet looking handle

23 hours ago, tomO said:

I think if you lock the small motor to go strait ahead you can steer with the bigger one.

Using the big one as a rudder is fine till the wind picks up then you are pretty much restricted to going downwind, so I bit the bullet and bought the EZ Steer, less stressful.

When I had a steering wheel, it was definitely time for the connecting brackets.  But for a tiller boat, I used a tiller extension on the kicker when I ran it.  Looks like this:

https://www.gpbikes.com/ironwood-pacific-u-001-helmsmate-extension-handles?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg45GBH6YmNJolfZ6Xi8uSDDq4fRsQgAcpk5A46f_0kUoBFJLE_Cu2xoCOFEQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, floater said:

That tiller extension looks good. I like the way you can swivel it towards you. I will try and find one of those if the stick doesn't work. Thanks

There is a significant range of motion, and reach, and the throttle works well, as long as your throttle on the kicker is employed by twisting the tiller handle.  In heavy waves it is a bit tricky, but boat handling in heavy waves is always a bit tricky.

Doug