An Argo is a boat

I wanted to make sure so I  sent Transport Canada an email asking. Here is the reply: 

Good afternoon Clifford,

Thank you for contacting Transport Canada’s Office of Boating Safety.

You will need to apply for a ‘New’ Pleasure Craft License (PCL) and you will be issued a set of numbers that you will need to display on the front of your Argo.

Please find below, directions on how to apply for a Pleasure Craft License (PCL). There are no fees associated when you license a pleasure craft. If you complete the application online and choose to have the license delivered via email, you will receive a 90 day temporary license within 15 business days.  The permanent license would also be delivered to your email as well, so it is always recommended to monitor the junk and spam folders because some email providers will deliver it there. For your convenience, I have attached the Pleasure Craft License Application Kit and Transport Canada Safe Boating Guide which contains safety tips and requirements for pleasure crafts.   If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

There are two ways to apply for a license – electronic method through online submission, OR, paper based method via Canada Post.

Electronic Pleasure Craft Licence Application

To apply for a licence using the online electronic method (quickest method), please access this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3212.htm. You must have a printer available to print the temporary licence until the final paperwork arrives. You must be able to attach a copy of the bill of sale, a scanned copy of valid government I.D. and a full side view picture of the boat. This takes about 5 business days to process should you wish to choose this method.

Pleasure Craft License Paper Application

To apply for the pleasure craft license via the paper application and mailing through Canada Post, you can access the link here:  http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/84-0172_BO_PD. Please be advised that, if you choose this method, it could take up to 3 weeks before you receive the final paperwork back.

1. Complete Part A.

2. Complete Part B by noting the current license number of the pleasure craft in the space provided.

3. Select "Transfer" in the "Reason for the application" section.

4. Complete Part D.

5. Complete Part E.

6. Complete Part F.

You will need to send the following documents:

• The completed application form;
  • A signed photocopy of a valid piece of government-issued identification for each owner whose name appears on the pleasure craft license (both sides);
  • A copy of the bill of sale or other proof of ownership; and,
  • A current full side-view colour photograph of the pleasure craft (ability to read license number on front of the bow).

Other proof of ownership:

• Statutory declarations
  • Wills and bequest
  • Separation or divorce agreements
  • Court judgments
  • Signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)

The mailing address for the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre is:

Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre

P.O. Box 2006

Fredericton, New Brunswick

E3B 5G4

A valid piece of government-issued identification can be:

• a provincial/territorial birth certificate;
  • a certificate of Canadian citizenship;
  • a Canadian passport; or
  • a provincial/territorial driver's license. 

Note: A provincial health card cannot be used as proof of identification.

Note: Non-residents may use valid government-issued identification from their own country.

Should you have any problems, questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Dustan Creasor

Boating Safety Officer, Marine Safety and Security, Ontario Region

Transport Canada / Government of Canada

[email protected] / Tel: 226-402-2449 / TTY: 1-888-675-6863

Agent de sécurité nautique, Sûreté et sécurité maritimes, région de l’Ontario

Transports Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

[email protected] / Tél: 226-402-2449 / ATS: 1-888-675-6863

5 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I wanted to make sure so I  sent Transport Canada an email asking. Here is the reply: 

Good afternoon Clifford,

Thank you for contacting Transport Canada’s Office of Boating Safety.

You will need to apply for a ‘New’ Pleasure Craft License (PCL) and you will be issued a set of numbers that you will need to display on the front of your Argo.

Please find below, directions on how to apply for a Pleasure Craft License (PCL). There are no fees associated when you license a pleasure craft. If you complete the application online and choose to have the license delivered via email, you will receive a 90 day temporary license within 15 business days.  The permanent license would also be delivered to your email as well, so it is always recommended to monitor the junk and spam folders because some email providers will deliver it there. For your convenience, I have attached the Pleasure Craft License Application Kit and Transport Canada Safe Boating Guide which contains safety tips and requirements for pleasure crafts.   If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

There are two ways to apply for a license – electronic method through online submission, OR, paper based method via Canada Post.

Electronic Pleasure Craft Licence Application

To apply for a licence using the online electronic method (quickest method), please access this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3212.htm. You must have a printer available to print the temporary licence until the final paperwork arrives. You must be able to attach a copy of the bill of sale, a scanned copy of valid government I.D. and a full side view picture of the boat. This takes about 5 business days to process should you wish to choose this method.

Pleasure Craft License Paper Application

To apply for the pleasure craft license via the paper application and mailing through Canada Post, you can access the link here:  http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/84-0172_BO_PD. Please be advised that, if you choose this method, it could take up to 3 weeks before you receive the final paperwork back.

1. Complete Part A.

2. Complete Part B by noting the current license number of the pleasure craft in the space provided.

3. Select "Transfer" in the "Reason for the application" section.

4. Complete Part D.

5. Complete Part E.

6. Complete Part F.

You will need to send the following documents:

• The completed application form;
  • A signed photocopy of a valid piece of government-issued identification for each owner whose name appears on the pleasure craft license (both sides);
  • A copy of the bill of sale or other proof of ownership; and,
  • A current full side-view colour photograph of the pleasure craft (ability to read license number on front of the bow).

Other proof of ownership:

• Statutory declarations
  • Wills and bequest
  • Separation or divorce agreements
  • Court judgments
  • Signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)

The mailing address for the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre is:

Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre

P.O. Box 2006

Fredericton, New Brunswick

E3B 5G4

A valid piece of government-issued identification can be:

• a provincial/territorial birth certificate;
  • a certificate of Canadian citizenship;
  • a Canadian passport; or
  • a provincial/territorial driver's license. 

Note: A provincial health card cannot be used as proof of identification.

Note: Non-residents may use valid government-issued identification from their own country.

Should you have any problems, questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Dustan Creasor

Boating Safety Officer, Marine Safety and Security, Ontario Region

Transport Canada / Government of Canada

[email protected] / Tel: 226-402-2449 / TTY: 1-888-675-6863

Agent de sécurité nautique, Sûreté et sécurité maritimes, région de l’Ontario

Transports Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

[email protected] / Tél: 226-402-2449 / ATS: 1-888-675-6863

I thought there was no fee also, but finance Ontario sent me a letter regarding a boat purchase I made after registering the hull. 

They wanted to know how much I paid for it. I sent it back saying I attached the bill of sale at time of registering and to send me the bill. 2 years later, nothing...

There is NO fee to REGISTER your boat for a PCL, surprising as an airplane is $110. That said Transport Canada is mandated to send the Provincial tax collector a list of registrations at the end of every month, so that the Province can try to bleed funds from you for taxes. Why you always separate boat / motor / trailer on separate bills or better yet trade someone equal value (barter is still legal) and send that proof back with the letter to the tax man. 

• Like 1

The only problem is

to ride a motorized vehicle on public lands and roads where allowed , you must have a orv tag and insurance.   When I was researching how to license my mini truck it talked about everything from motorcycles to atvs and 6 and 8 wheel vehicles and my take from it was if you want to run on public or crown land you must have orv tag

and it said a frozen lake is considered crown land.  You may want to check into that. 

• Like 2