Canada post WT_?

Anyone run into Bull trying to ship parcels with CP???

I did a rate check online. Box was too big, so I kept downsizing until I found a box size that would work. Ok good. got a rate with insurance. I walked in to a postal outlet to verify. “They need to weight it, but the online calculator is usually pretty good, and yes it can be insured. “Usually” has me concerned, but onward we go....

So I builds me a crate to that exact size and the parts barely fit. it was a 3hour build with the scavenging around my shop and careful packing (glass boat windshield) and I finally get it done. 

I spray paint up/arrows and “fragile glass” on it. Here’s where it goes bad. 

I drag it in to my local, small town full service post office and 2 wide eyed women meet me. instantly, I get “that box is way to big, we can’t take it” I insisted I checked rates and it’s within size and under weight. 

She measures it in metric, punches it in the system and , NO, too big. I said now try it in imperial, I built the crate EXACTLY to size. 

“I can’t do that, only metric”

But your online system accepts metric AND imperial dims and weights. 

“I have no way to convert it”

I ask that she goes online and use the same calculator I did, on CP’s site. 

“We have no internet here”

I showed her in my phone and she doesn’t care or want to see it. 

finally she relents and adjusts the cms a little smaller and oh look, there’s the price I got online. So time to weigh in. On her tiny counter holding 2 scales with barely enough room, let alone enough room to spread them apart to the point of measuring the box on just one but we finally get it weighed. 

so I say let’s do it and add insurance. 

“I can’t insure it because it’s glass” 

ok, but the other postal outlet said I could insure BOTH loss and damage??

I’m not winning, so I say fine...insure it for loss only. 

“I can’t insure it AT ALL, because it’s glass”

I ask what glass has to do with losing the package?

”nobody will lose a box this size” 

I say you never know, you sub contract all the time. 

Again, ”nobody will lose a box this size”

I’m not shipping without insurance, if it gets lost, I or the buyer is out of $400

“Fine, you can insure it but it won’t do any good, you’ll only get reimbursed shipping”

I ask what the point is of putting $400 coverage on it if only covers shipping? Loss is loss of product, not loss of shipping?

”you can pay for it, but it won’t do you any good” 

Wow, they were doing all they could to avoid taking my box. Maybe it’s because they couldn’t lift it, or I was interrupting her texting..,I don’t know.

I was so pi**ed off. I got the info beforehand online and in person. The buyer wired me the cash and all of a sudden I was mired in this crap. What a fiasco. 

Not impressed. Somehow not at all surprised though. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

They refused to deliver a 35 lb package to me because the lady that delivers our mail said she couldn't lift it. It took a couple of phone calls but they finally agreed to find someone that could, took them 5 days though.

I get that there are limitations to what individual people can do, but if they list a service with a max weight, max size limit and you are within it, it should be no burden on us. 

Granted, they are busy due to high level of parcels... and my package is exactly the max size and 3lbs away from max weight. I am cutting it close. 

I just needed to vent. This covid thing is tiring

6 hours ago, lew said:

Just curious, but rather than waiting 5 days for your package, why not just drive to the post office and pick it up ?

Three reasons reasons Lew; I paid to have it delivered, it was well under their weight limit, and they didn't tell me it was going to take 5 extra days. 

• Like 1

And now I feel like a bit of a crap. 
I just dropped off the box and away it goes.

Same lady was absolutely golden.

Must’ve just been an off day. I guess we all have them. And perhaps I was having one too..

I think it’s all too easy to forget that everybody else is struggling with covid and work stresses also. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 2

I service the shop's mailman's vehicles. I haven't had to go to a post office or mailbox in years. Everyday he shows up around 10am with my mail (Bills mostly LOL), makes himself a coffee and takes a 10 minute break. On the way out he picks up my out going mail and looks after it for me. He's about to retire and I'll miss the guy. As a retirement gift I put a $100.00 gift certificate for the shop, in an envelope addressed to him. He always checks that I have the proper postage on my stuff. I wont put a stamp on his letter; so he'll notice it's for him.

Dan.

• Like 2