Boat in camping Temagami, Franklin or Phillip Edward Islands?

Hack_Fisherman

Cabin/Lockdown fever to the max. All I’m dreaming about is getting up north. For anything. Camping, scouting, fishing. Anything outdoors. 

Wondering about Franklin Island. I understand it’s a popular place might be hard to find spaces prime season, but what about September anybody been? I know this is going to be a different year.

Also wondering about Temagami or Phillip Edward Island near Killarney. I know these areas are very popular with canoe/kayak trippers. But any of you guys do any boat-in camping in these areas? (Wondering about the shorelines on these waters and whether there’s areas to beach and camp or moor without getting your boat beat to hell on the rocks and waves. 

Anyone been to the fox islands with a powerboat? That water looks extremely treacherous for power boats, but I’d really like to visit even as a day trip.

22 minutes ago, nofish4me said:

You mentioned Fox Islands... which/where... there's more than one Fox Island in Ontario. 

And what type of boat do you have to get there?

Yes of course, Fox islands are a cluster of wind blown islands south of of the western tip of Phillip Edward Island in G Bay. All located east of the town of Killarney. 

it’s a really popular with photographers and kayak trippers

1 hour ago, nofish4me said:

You mentioned Fox Islands... which/where... there's more than one Fox Island in Ontario. 

And what type of boat do you have to get there?

Sorry, I forgot to answer about the boat. 
it’s a 16 ft Starcraft deep vee. (Early aluminum bow rider) definitely would carry a couple of spare props. And kicker for good measure.

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Ok.. that boat will definitely get you there, even in some choppy weather. 

Have you considered where to launch? Key River is pretty much best/easiest way to get there. A straight run out and a right turn into Fox Island. 

I've been out there in some small boats, but it was weather dependent. LOL.  I've also been out there in larger boats that were better in rough weather. 

Never actually camped out there. I would always camp closer to Key Harbour. 

The small craft route is marked with bouys/markers right to south end of island and continues further west. No problem getting out there.. just when you venture out of marked channel. 

Edited by nofish4me
Add info:
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, nofish4me said:

Ok.. that boat will definitely get you there, even in some choppy weather. 

Have you considered where to launch? Key River is pretty much best/easiest way to get there. A straight run out and a right turn into Fox Island. 

I've been out there in some small boats, but it was weather dependent. LOL.  I've also been out there in larger boats that were better in rough weather. 

Never actually camped out there. I would always camp closer to Key Harbour. 

The small craft route is marked with bouys/markers right to south end of island and continues further west. No problem getting out there.. just when you venture out of marked channel. 

Thanks, but wrong fox island. My bad maybe, I think they refer to “the foxes” as the group of islands due east of the town of Killarney. BUT, I’m glad you pointed out the Fox island in the French river delta. Looks great too! Thanks for the tips, i definitely want to check it out. And the Bustard islands too. Looks like Key Harbour is the best for this access also

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Sorry, I forgot to answer about the boat. 
it’s a 16 ft Starcraft deep vee. (Early aluminum bow rider) definitely would carry a couple of spare props. And kicker for good measure.

High school friend's parent had a place at the end of Dillion Road back early 60's, went to Franklin Island a few times, as I still recall spare props, shear pins  and a kicker  would be a very good idea in those waters

edit: also remember I first saw a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers there on the island.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks, but wrong fox island. My bad maybe, I think they refer to “the foxes” as the group of islands due east of the town of Killarney. BUT, I’m glad you pointed out the Fox island in the French river delta. Looks great too! Thanks for the tips, i definitely want to check it out. And the Bustard islands too. Looks like Key Harbour is the best for this access also

One other source of confusion may be that Fox Island is also in the Municipality of Killarney. 

Lol

2 hours ago, singingdog said:

I have camped on the Foxes many times. Landing anything other than a kayak/canoe would be tough. Very steep rocks to get up to the actual campsites.

Thanks. I wondered that. Have you been around the Phillip Edward Island route? I’m assuming the west side of the island to be similar to the foxes. Wondering if the east side is more accessible...or am I looking at steep rocks along here also? Hard to tell by satellite 

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks. I wondered that. Have you been around the Phillip Edward Island route? I’m assuming the west side of the island to be similar to the foxes. Wondering if the east side is more accessible...or am I looking at steep rocks along here also? Hard to tell by satellite 

I have paddled and camped that entire area, all the way down to Snug Harbour. Phillip Edward is pretty steep most of the way around. There are some shallower shorelines along the south edge, but also tons of shoals and shallow rocks. 

• 3 weeks later...