OUCH!! $4,000 in Fines and Two-Year Suspension for Fishing Violations

TJQ

Hmmm ... Well don't get me wrong ... I am all about making sure people don't go over their limits and enforcing that is the only way to make sure it happens ...And that daily limit doesn't mean every day ... and possession limit is exactly that ... but I assume he isn't married and doesn't have kids ... because there is no law against catching a limit one day and gifting it to someone else (even someone in your household and then going out the next day to do it again.)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I used to fish near Woods Bay/Moon River in the Massasauga PP probably a little over 30 years ago now.  Beautiful, beautiful waterways!  The fishing got so poor 25 years ago due to pressure and poachers, gill netting and pollution (we saw 55 g drums, ovens, fridges in the water) we stopped going and headed further north.  If the ministry starts going after all these offenders and then uses the fines to support the fisheries and hatcheries - I'm all for it.  One guy, great ... now, start going after the others.  To answer the question about it being excessive?  Maybe.  Will it get paid in full? Doubt it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, TJQ said:

Harsh.. or not harsh enough??  or just right??  What do you think??

https://mnrwatch.com/4000-in-fines-and-two-year-suspension-for-fishing-violations/

Just right for me. I've been fishing for over 30 years and believe some lakes in southern Ontario are overly fished. For an example, Bass fishing in Cooks' Bay (Lake Simcoe) is totally different than 20 years ago. Same as Walleye in lake Scugog. I'm sure they set those limit for a reason, got to follow it. 

• 3 weeks later...

So if I understand this right - if you catch your limit at some time and put some of the fish in your freezer - then you go fishing a week later and again catch your limit you could be fined for having too many fish - it seems to me that a lot of guys do that - maybe I'm wrong but kinda makes me wonder - 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Joepa, do you have your copy of the fishing regulations of Ontario 2022?  Have you read them?  There is a section in there for "bag" limits, and "possession" limits.  

Once you read them, you'll know the difference, and how the MNRF enforces the regs.

• 4 weeks later...

Revived thread so......

That news release is not a deterrent.  Here is one that would be.

Fishman fined $4000 and suspended from fishing for 2 years.  The fine was that high due to it being a repeat offence.  This year Conservation Officers in the region have handed out and collected on 200 fines of $200 each and suspended 100 licenses for a full year to first time offenders.  An additional 3 people had their licenses suspended and received heftier fines as they were repeat offenders.  The Ministry of Natural Resources ask people to be aware of the fishing regulations as fines are mandated when offences are discovered"

19 hours ago, Mitch 60 said:

seems a little harsh,not the worst violation,still should know the rules but kind of over the top punishment. 

No, that is not harsh, it's designed to punish those that consistently thumb their noses at our regulations.  Called get with the program.

Just a thought - do you think that some guys are influenced by the fact that Indians can catch as many fish as they want to and by using nets so they get pissed and break the law by keeping more fish than allowed - 

I remember reading some years ago about a non-resident having too many bass - was caught before hitting the border - they confiscated his boat and vehicle and told him he could come back and bid on the stuff when it is put up for auction - wow you talk about harsh penalty - 

• Like 1

If they can research all the info to come up here to fish, 5 minutes on the MNRF website can give them all the answers.  I'm also sure that the local place they stay at would clue them inn too.  But again, snub your nose, wait for a punch in the nose from The Judge and you better hope it's not Judge Judy.   What's worse than them catching a big pile of fish, they often leave their unmarked nets full of fish to rot.  Keepers of the land..not.

• 2 weeks later...