LG quality

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Isn't that the truth! I remember thinking we were soooo high tech when we got the power rotary antennae on the house! Change the channel = spin the dial! haha  

Funny how one day we think something is so highly technical then a couple years later we wonder what the heck were we thinking. I'm sure 20 years from now we'll be thinking the same thing about today's smart tv's.

23 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Don't fool yourself thinking bigger is sharper when it comes to the eyes.  I finally gave in, went to the eye doc and yup, needed a slight improvement for long distance seeing.  Can't believe it makes such a difference.

Hey now... my wife believes me that I need the bigger TV for this reason. Don't ruin it for me now :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, lew said:

Who else remembers the days when you'd pull the tubes out of the back of the TV when it stopped working and take them down to the tube tester machine at the drugstore. Plug the tubes into the machine and it would indicate it when it found the bad one.

I remember vividly back in the 50's when it was just a normal thing to do that and I'd always accompany Dad when we went to the drugstore to test them.

Yup, the good ole days weren't always so good   LOL 😁

I remember by dad doing that at Radio Shack.

• Like 1

Got a 32" LG still good after 10 years, a 21" LG in the kitchen still good after 6 years and a 58 Samsung good after 5 years. My wife was against getting the Samsung but loves it now. You got to do your research before you buy any TV or appliance. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:15 PM, Headhunter said:

All these current TV's are built in a modular manner, meaning they don't replace bulging caps or bad resisters, they just swap out the entire board

Automotive has gone the same way. You test a failed circuit and you know that it is just a $10.00 relay; but that relay is incorporated inside a module assembly. Chrysler has had issues with their TIPM (Totally Intergraded Power Module) it controls all secondary electrical systems. Things like lights, heater/AC, power windows and so on. Talk about a hard sell. Well we found out why the left headlight isn't working. It's the TIPM and it'll cost you approx $1200.00 to have it replaced. There's usually a few moments of silence on the phone; before I hear a very loud WHAT! 

Like what one of my instructors told me years ago and have had to use his line many times. I didn't design it, build it or buy it; I'm here to fix it; sorry for your luck.

Dan.   

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, smitty55 said:

Pretty bad that we don’t even have a choice to pay more for quality. It’s all engineered to fail it seems 

I agree 100%

It's called built in obsolescence.  I don't think there's any manufacturer (From vehicles, right down to a wristwatch) out there that hasn't calculated what it takes for their unit to last for at least the length of the warrantee. After that they betting that when it does fail you'll come and buy another. If they built things that lasted 20+ years; they be out of business before we'd knock on their door to buy another.

Dan... 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hear about your experience with the LG TV. That's definitely frustrating when a product fails just after the warranty period. But you know what? LG isn't all that bad. I've actually got an old LG TV in my bedroom, and it's still going strong after years of use. In case you need to get your TV repaired, you could try reaching out to authorized LG repair services. They might be able to help you out. Check out this link for more info: https://fixappliances.ca/lg-appliance-repаir/. It's always worth a shot before giving up on a product completely. I totally get where you're coming from, though. It's disappointing when a brand you trusted doesn't live up to your expectations.

Edited by Ytahlia

8 hours ago, Ytahlia said:

Sorry to hear about your experience with the LG TV. That's definitely frustrating when a product fails just after the warranty period. But you know what? LG isn't all that bad. I've actually got an old LG TV in my bedroom, and it's still going strong after years of use.

And there is the answer, "an old LG". It didn't upset me that it failed, what turned me off was that even though it was just out of warranty I couldn't even get it repaired. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, smitty55 said:

Satellite receivers have been like that for a long time. Echostar (bell) uses cheaper components that barely meet specs. I've repaired 3 of them over the years and every failure has been capacitors. 1 of them I had to use a good receiver and compare readings with a meter and 2 of them a visual inspection was all that was needed to spot the swollen cans caused by excessive heat. Those receivers are always on if plugged in and run quite hot all the time, both of ours are always removed from power every night. I have mine sitting on spacers to allow more air flow underneath. The last one I fixed had two bad caps. So the system runs on 5V and the caps are only rated for 6.3 volts. Add in a very hot environment and the cans swell and next thing you know you can't get a satellite signal. For a few cents more the could have used a higher rated cap to reduce failure rates but of course then they wouldn't sell as many replacements.

I replaced a bad capacitor on a Samsung and it lasted a few more years. My next one also had a problem at 18 months old and I had to spend $300+ on a new motherboard.. my LG fridge had a compressor failure at 18 months. I had ordered a maytag but was informed that it was not available a couple of weeks later. They offered an upgraded LG for the same price so I took it.. I wish we had stronger lemon protection laws but since our economy relys on consumerism there is no desire for that

• Like 3