Roger's Cell Network is down

Canada's most reliable network is down. Cell service and data is down from BC to Ontario as well as some Atlantic provinces.

Perfect timing Rogers as so many people are relying on the service, that they pay through the nose for, to book the vax appointments.

Looking forward to how the naysayers bundle this into an anti-Dougie slam.

Rogers as of this note have not provided any real response to customers other than, "we are working on it". God bless them.

HH

Thanks for posting this! I spent about a half hour checking my phone settings. Man I was getting pissed at my lack of knowledge of the phone settings. 

Thank! You saved some of what little hair I have left. LOL

Dan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irishfield said:

I figured they shut it down knowing the budget was coming out at 4....

I watched a couple of the neigbourhood women loosing it this morning outside, one asked me if mine worked, said yes but didn't tell her it was my landline.  Gave me a bad case of stinkeye.

Well, if Rogers is blaming Ericsson, then somebody dropped the ball at both companies. Nothing gets put into "production systems" unless it has been fully tested in a beta site. Also, Rogers should have a DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan) in place, for these types of situations. Given that the system went down in the middle of the night, that is typically when new apps are downloaded into production, so it makes sense that something killed the production system. Rogers will sue Ericsson, Ericsson will probably sue the outsourced development team and the legal battles will ensue for years.

If you were affected by the outage, be sure to contact Rogers to get credit put on your bill. If you don't get joy, they have a group internally that is called "The office of the president". They are the top group of customer support folks who do have the power to deal with this.

HH

• Like 1

When you call in, contact the billing department. They will try to get you to accept whatever they can get you to accept. Probably a day's rate., pro-rated for the month.

If you don't get joy from them, ask them to send you to "customer retention" and haggle with them.

HH

23 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Well, if Rogers is blaming Ericsson, then somebody dropped the ball at both companies. Nothing gets put into "production systems" unless it has been fully tested in a beta site. Also, Rogers should have a DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan) in place, for these types of situations. Given that the system went down in the middle of the night, that is typically when new apps are downloaded into production, so it makes sense that something killed the production system. Rogers will sue Ericsson, Ericsson will probably sue the outsourced development team and the legal battles will ensue for years.

If you were affected by the outage, be sure to contact Rogers to get credit put on your bill. If you don't get joy, they have a group internally that is called "The office of the president". They are the top group of customer support folks who do have the power to deal with this.

HH

Even if testing within the lower environments are successful, the real test is Production.   Most lower environment cannot recreate the load and traffic you'll see in Prod.    You'd be surprised at how many quick fixes go in because a vendor suggested it.   I deal with this daily.   No one is going to sue anyone else, their are vendor contracts and SLAs in place for this very reason.     

Particularly concerning. This was a massive sustained outage. To those needing the service for business, or worse, emergencies, this could have been a bad situation or worse. I wonder if any fatalities could be attributed to people who couldn’t reach 1st responders?

And an eye opener for all of us. How many even have a physical landline anymore? 

We’ve become almost completely reliant on cell systems & data. A major attack/hack on these systems by bad actors/western enemies could really hurt us.

I’m actually considering re-instating my land line. EDIT, maybe not....who am I going to call?? Maybe I could order a pizza

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

7 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

How many even have a physical landline anymore? 

I have a cell phone that pretty much lives in my truck and is basically only for emergencies or if my wife needs me for something while I'm out driving somewhere. I don't even remember the last time I used it.

My landline in the house it how I communicate with people

• Like 4

I was about to disconnect my land line. I haven't used it for ages.
Right now I wanna keep it, obviously. The only thing is I do not want to have it with Rogers.
Do you guys have any recommendations maybe? Bell wanted $50/mo last time I checked.

12 minutes ago, mamona said:

Do you guys have any recommendations maybe? Bell wanted $50/mo last time I checked.

Call around to the smaller places like Nexicom.  Bell will wholesale the old copper line service (even works in a power outage for a corded phone) but any of the new Fibe (Fiber) or cable based are still Voip so they suck.  

Edited by GBW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GBW said:

Call around to the smaller places like Nexicom.  Bell will wholesale the old copper line service (even works in a power outage for a corded phone) but any of the new Fibe (Fiber) or cable based are still Voip so they suck.  

And 911 services dot know where you are when you call unless you tell them. VoIP and fibre lines are no good if there’s a power outage or data loss?

4 hours ago, GBW said:

Threaten to cut them off. They’ll drop the price. You might have to do this yearly

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

And 911 services dot know where you are when you call unless you tell them. VoIP and fibre lines are no good if there’s a power outage or data loss?

Correct.  Only the old copper land lines show an address and work in a power outage IF you have an old hardwired phone.  Bell offers a router with a back up battery for Fibe to the home customers but the battery sure isn't free.  As a former Bell person is why I offer the info that I am.  If you have copper phone lines, others can get you the service.  Also, if you are a Bell customer then the $50 line can be bundled and thus the price reduced.