Marinas cannot be used for recreational boating

mamona

As of April 17th, 2021, marinas cannot be used for recreational boating purposes except: “repairing or servicing boats or other watercraft; placing boats or other watercraft in the water to be secured to a dock until the marina is open to the public; and any other services that may be required to enable individuals to access their place of residence or their other property, support government operations or services, or support the transportation of items by commercial barges.

https://www.ofah.org/covid19closures/

praying that the municipal boat ramp in our district doesn't close. I doubt it will because a significant amount of people rely on it to access their homes, but the fact we are now back at square one as it relates to people going outside with their immediate family members still blows me away.

The funniest one is a photo from Peterborough where they put a wooden sawhorse style barrier in front of the boat launch. All i can say is that I hope the person that inevitably moves it out of the way simply puts it to the side and doesn't pollute the lake with it.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

praying that the municipal boat ramp in our district doesn't close. I doubt it will because a significant amount of people rely on it to access their homes, but the fact we are now back at square one as it relates to people going outside with their immediate family members still blows me away.

The funniest one is a photo from Peterborough where they put a wooden sawhorse style barrier in front of the boat launch. All i can say is that I hope the person that inevitably moves it out of the way simply puts it to the side and doesn't pollute the lake with it.

They put up signs a few weeks ago.  They won't be closing the ramps, I fished out of there on Sat. 

• Like 2

What if you get in an accident on the way to your 'essential' fishing trip? ICUs are almost full? What then? Its called a 'Stay at Home order' for a reason. Think of others, not yourself. Not an easy thing for us North Americans to do but its important. Fishing can wait a bit. The Lakes will still be there in a month. My boats back on axle stands till at least May 20th. I'm not happy about it but its the RIGHT THING TO DO. Try it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

What if you get in an accident on the way to your 'essential' fishing trip? ICUs are almost full? What then? Its called a 'Stay at Home order' for a reason. Think of others, not yourself. Not an easy thing for us North Americans to do but its important. Fishing can wait a bit. The Lakes will still be there in a month. My boats back on axle stands till at least May 20th. I'm not happy about it but its the RIGHT THING TO DO. Try it.

If you take proper safety precautions and are responsible like your supposed to be every single time you go out on your boat either to fish or for leisure then as far I’m concerned everyone will be fine. As far as ICUs being full they aren’t. Same Bull over and over. Last year this time my father was in the hospital with health complications and media was blowing up saying the icus were full. I went to icu and Covid unit at the hospital where he was staying. Ghost town. People can’t continue to have their lives and livelihoods ruined. If people are responsible and safe like they’re supposed to be every time you go out on the water then why shouldn’t they be allowed to. If you don’t want to fish stay home. More fish for us. 

Edited by Musky Plug
  • Like 7

Other than posting the info, what is the OFAH doing about it? Seems they're more concerned about selling draw tickets.

If this was the first lock down, I wouldn't be overly upset, but we're in year two of this.  Marinas and launches are closed (yet again) until May 20th. But that's the day before the 2-4 weekend starts. So guess what's coming? You guessed it, another lock down. It never ends. 

Walmart and SuperStore were packed, international flights in and out, but that's ok.  Boating and fishing are the main super spreader of Covid don't you know? 

Texas is down to under 2000 infections per day. Population of 29 million with a greater population density than Ontario. No mask mandate, and everything is open.  Their politicians actually got the vaccine rollout going properly. 

Edited by Gravyboat

20 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

What if you get in an accident on the way to your 'essential' fishing trip? ICUs are almost full? What then? Its called a 'Stay at Home order' for a reason..lakes will still be there in a month...

hmmmm....an accident? One that leads to being in ICU? That is reaaally stretching it. I have been on thousands of trips and never once needed a visit to the hospital. With fewer people on the roads this would be even less likely! How many times have any of us ended up in ICU from a fishing trip? I am gonna put those odds at about 1 in 100 000. Far more end up in there from alcohol and drug use...yet that seems permissible 

Hospitals overwhelmed? When we were in lockdown last year I went to the hospital. I had injured myself playing hockey before lockdown, but I waited awhile to go because the hospitals were apparently overwhelmed. Finally when the pain wouldn't subside I went in. What I saw was a shock! Honestly you could have shot a cannon through the Guelph hospital! I have never been served so quickly in my life. Checked in, met a doctor, had an xray, met a doctor again to get the news, and then back in my car driving away in less than 45 minutes! There were tons of staff hanging out at the nursing station talking to each other. The hallways, meeting rooms and waiting areas vacant. I acknowledge I was in emerg not icu, but seriously...if icu was so stretched why did they not re-allocate some staff or room from emerg?

Lakes will still be there in a month - I hope so! And if they are, I hope my dictator government permits me to use them. Even if they don't...I plan on finding a way

• Like 3

By the way everyone, I towed a boat to the lake this past weekend 300kmh each way and went fishing...passed plenty of OPP and had no issue what so ever. I was also travelling alone and obeying the rules of the road.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

wow 300 k each way! Hope it was worth the drive...the 300 k back is a tough one after a skunking (been there done that...sometimes muskies suck)

9 times out of 10 for me muskies suck.  There’s always that 1 trip where it pays off.  Surprisingly if I land a little 30” it’s ends up being 40” somehow by the end of my drive home.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

wow 300 k each way! Hope it was worth the drive...the 300 k back is a tough one after a skunking (been there done that...sometimes muskies suck)

You are right about one thing, I got skunked, I lost a PB laketrout at the dock...yes i went fishing for two days and ended up hooking my first fish at the dock lol. 

I also ended up catching my PB pike off of the dock, unfortunately out of season but the thing was absolutely gigantic and I want to cry just thinking about the fact I dont have a photo or anything due to it being 2 weeks too early. It was still spewing roe!

im lucky i have a place to stay! My buddies did it a couple of times through the winter this year to ice fish though because they couldnt stay with me due to covid. Man I cannot wait to have my friends up to the lake, fish all day, cook some steaks and have some beers at night, do it all over the next day. I cant believe its been more than a year. 😪

Edited by AKRISONER

16 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

By the way everyone, I towed a boat to the lake this past weekend 300kmh each way and went fishing...passed plenty of OPP and had no issue what so ever. I was also travelling alone and obeying the rules of the road.

Up are your parents place where you ice fished in the winter?   Surprised you didn't see me out there :)   Did well on Sat, not a lot of size, but well into the double digits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillM said:

Up are your parents place where you ice fished in the winter?   Surprised you didn't see me out there :)   Did well on Sat, not a lot of size, but well into the double digits. 

Lol i definitely did in hindsight. I remember a boat with a grey yammy. If id put two and two together i would have stopped and said hi. I was clearly on the wrong program, guys apparently slayed on saturday, I think I was up too shallow thinking id catch some rainbows. 

Did you see me? my boat sticks out like a sore thumb up there.

I have to Barrie, Royal Victoria Hospital, and to Newmarket, Southlake Hospital,

9 times in the last year and the Emergency is not busy or over run, working yes

but definitely not over run.

This is not Toronto so not sure about there.  

guys,  I am 100% on your side that so much of this stuff doesnt make any sense. Without being political our politicians are 100% accountable for what is going on.

But lets not get into the conspiracy theory garbage "the ICU's arent full" Theres quite literally only 1,200 ICU beds in Ontario. 750 of them are currently occupied with covid patients. That quite literally leaves 450 beds for every single other person that needs to go into intensive care in the entire province. 

Think about what you are saying for a second. Basically any person that is in danger of dying ends up in the ICU, what happens if a natural disaster, terrorist attack or any other form of mass casualty event occurs, i guess we are going to leave it once again on the doctors to decide who lives and dies?

People pushing for us to not care until the ICU's are literally totally full so that in the event that you get in a car crash you will simply be left for dead because there is no space is a strange way to think. 

If you want to talk about the Covid situation being a mess, have at it, but lets not completely disregard what doctors nurses and those in the medical field are going through at the moment. 

My direct team member at work's wife is a nurse, she is not trained nor certified to work with intubated people with severe cases of covid, but guess where she started working this week due to staffing shortages. You guessed it, she has been assigned to the covid ward out of desperation. Please Please Please do not make light of the situation at our hospitals at the moment. 

I invite you to talk to any nurse/doctor or other healthcare practitioner working with covid patients prior to announcing that your hospital is totally fine on a fishing forum.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So at Hamilton General there are 20 "wards" with 3 beds in each in the ICU. Pre-Covid they averaged 50-60 patients in the ICU at a time because they are the biggest trauma hospital in the area. Since Covid they have dedicated 10 of those "wards" for individual Covid cases reducing the ICU capacity to 40 patients max. Yes, the ICU there is full but they reduced the overall capacity by 33%. A week ago 3 Covid patients were from the Hamilton area and 7 were transfers from the GTA.

It's not hard to see why ICU's are full when they have cut the capacity 20-50% across Ontario. If there wasn't an imposed isolation of Covid patients from eachother while in the hospital there wouldn't be this ICU crunch going on.

Edited by jonasdry