Boat Trailer Bunk Replacement

BassMan11

Hey everyone,

Launched the boat the other day to play with some of the new toys acquired over the winter months and noticed the my bunk carpet was torn fairly bad and the wood was growing mushrooms... looks like its time to replace them. So this begs the question, standard bunk carpet and 2x 6 boards or do you go with a GatorBak, Tough Bunk, or even Caliper Bunk rap solution? Looking for experiences as well as pro's con's etc...

Thanks in advance.

BassMan

When I did my bunks, I started with 2X6 pressure treated planks. Made a trough out of a poly tarp that would fit the planks. Put the planks in the trough and then poured enough Thompson's water seal to cover the planks. Let it soak for a week or better; then took the planks out and let them air/sun dry. (Salvaged the remaining Thompsons and used it on my back yard deck.) Once the planks were dry to the touch, I then wrapped them in a fairly plush indoor/outdoor carpet, securing them with galvanized staples. Once the planks were fitted to the trailer, I soaked the carpet with a silicon lubricant. Slipperier then goose crap! Lets just say I never undid the trailer's bow safety chain until the boat was floating at the launch. One of the member's here bought the boat & trailer from me; maybe he'll chime in to tell us how they lasted?

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1

I did mine with cedar 2x4's (my boat is a 16 foot aluminum with a 50hp motor). Used what ever outdoor carpet they had at the home hardware in Bancroft, some adhesive and some staples. Not sure what cedar is going for these days but for only 2 for something you value as much as a boat and the years you're going to use it I think it's money well spent. 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 PM, kickingfrog said:

I did mine with cedar 2x4's (my boat is a 16 foot aluminum with a 50hp motor). Used what ever outdoor carpet they had at the home hardware in Bancroft, some adhesive and some staples. Not sure what cedar is going for these days but for only 2 for something you value as much as a boat and the years you're going to use it I think it's money well spent. 

Yup! The KISS method is usually the best.

Keep It Simple Sir. (KISS)

Dan. 

I used warped cedar 2x6 that I got from the clearance bin for cheap, they where bent the right way for trailer bunks.  I just used outdoor carpet and carpet glue with stainless steel staples.  That’s all I’ve ever done and they last for years.  I do leave the bottoms open rather than covering them completely!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, porkpie said:

I used warped cedar 2x6 that I got from the clearance bin for cheap, they where bent the right way for trailer bunks.  I just used outdoor carpet and carpet glue with stainless steel staples.  That’s all I’ve ever done and they last for years.  I do leave the bottoms open rather than covering them completely!

I notice the Bunks on my Lund / Shoreland'R trailer have the carpet all the way around... although they might looks a bit better they definitely hold more water for longer and some fungi also growing in them as well. I planned on leaving the bottoms open as well. Personally i'd really like to go see the 2x6's to make sure they are to my liking... I guess I'll have to wait a while for that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add to this after getting around to replacing my side "guide" bunks this spring. I used the same outdoor carpet that I had left over from doing the bunks (mentioned below) that was black. In more stained lakes and after sunset when pulling the boat they are very hard to see. It's not a big deal but the light grey carpet was much easier to see. I might spray some white paint on the top of the carpet to make it stand out that little bit to make it easier.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 PM, kickingfrog said:

• Like 2