Custom Brook Trout Rod......

Spiel

A while back I was asked by a friend to build a custom Brook Trout rod for his annual fly in trips. "No biggie" I said.
Then he asked if I could make the reel seat look like a Brook Trout, well that was going to take me into new territory.
I accepted the challenge and when his name came up in my build book I set to work. I was more than comfortable with all aspects of this build with the exception of the "Brook Trout" themed reel seat. Ideas cooked for a bit in my mind, then I came up with a design but I needed someone willing to take on the painting of the components I had envisioned. I reached out to my very talented friend Brandon Trafananko up on the Bruce Peninsula. He jumped at the chance to be part of this project.

So in short, here are some pictures of the project from start to finish.

whiteproject1.jpg

whiteproject3.jpg

whiteproject4.jpg

whiteproject5.jpg

whiteproject7.jpg

BT5.jpg

HV1.jpg

HV2.jpg

HV3b.jpg

HV4.jpg

HV5.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome as always bud . What material are you using for the reel seat ? Can you share your set up on shaving the shape ? Looks like a rotor bit :dunno:,but how are you holding the stock to shape ? If it,s a secret,I understand .:oops:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, misfish said:

Awesome as always bud . What material are you using for the reel seat ? Can you share your set up on shaving the shape ? Looks like a rotor bit :dunno:,but how are you holding the stock to shape ? If it,s a secret,I understand .:oops:

The material Brian is white acrylic turned to shape on my metal and to mortise it for the reel I have a bull nose router bit in a metal lathe/mill combo and a vertical riser to hold in place on the cross slide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where I used to fish brookies involved miles of hiking through cedar trees and underbrush following little blue line creeks. That rod is waaaaay to nice for that!!! lol

BTW Spiel, I had a buddy over for a beer last week... Noel says hello. I want to go to Alaska too!! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Where I used to fish brookies involved miles of hiking through cedar trees and underbrush following little blue line creeks. That rod is waaaaay to nice for that!!! lol

BTW Spiel, I had a buddy over for a beer last week... Noel says hello. I want to go to Alaska too!! 

Always a good time in Noel's company.  ;)