Boat launch etiquette

8 hours ago, D-wayne said:

To save a lot of issues just remember the old saying 

You can't fix stupid 

Typically we have major issues in the end of Spring and end of Summer when people put their crafts in or out for the year. After a few times of being verbally abused after offering to help I just sit back and enjoy the show. Last fall I felt bad for the wife as she was taking a lot of verbal abuse from the dumbass who had a lot of anger and no brains. 

Again, "You can't fix stupid "

I disagree. The far majority of issues are from people that don't know better so calling them stupid is unfair.

We have almost useless boating card system that could to be expanded to include boat launch etiquette. Yelling abuses at people is not education.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I disagree. The far majority of issues are from people that don't know better so calling them stupid is unfair.

I disagree, there may be the odd one that honestly doesn't realize it, but anyone with a modicum of common sense that has had to wait in a exceedingly slow launch even once has to realize that's not how it's done. The worst ones are those that do know better but don't give a crap and do it anyway. They certainly are stupid idiots and ignorant to boot.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

I'm going to start a business showing people how to load/unload their boats.    The final examination will be at the Tiffin launch with 30k east winds :) :)

Good idea until a guy shows up with his boat on top of his roof haha.  Actually saw 2 guys last year do that with there 12 footer.  

12 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Good idea until a guy shows up with his boat on top of his roof haha.  Actually saw 2 guys last year do that with there 12 footer.  

Easiest boat to launch, don't even need to use the ramp :)

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, grimsbylander said:

We have almost useless boating card system that could to be expanded to include boat launch etiquette. Yelling abuses at people is not education.

We have enough government control

I would prefer not to be forced to learn how to use a boat launch.

You back up, put your boat in and leave.  

For the most part we have no boat launches here in the North and what there are they are not crowded.

If there is an issue maybe a launch specific course where it is needed

• 3 months later...

So I'm still working on my trailer backup but getting so I'm *almost* not embarassed. Anyway I looked up this thread after lining up in the water to get out, at Bluffers Park. When guys are both loading and unloading boats should you leave one side of the ramp open for each direction? I could have jumped into an opening on one side of the ramp but left it open (and boats behind me) to keep one 'lane' going both ways. 

So...be polite when it's busy both ways or catch as catch can?

Edited by Woggs

On 7/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, Woggs said:

So I'm still working on my trailer backup but getting so I'm *almost* not embarassed. Anyway I looked up this thread after lining up in the water to get out, at Bluffers Park. When guys are both loading and unloading boats should you leave one side of the ramp open for each direction? I could have jumped into an opening on one side of the ramp but left it open (and boats behind me) to keep one 'lane' going both ways. 

So...be polite when it's busy both ways or catch as catch can?

If you're up and it's on the other side of the ramp, go for it.   I've never been to a ramp where there's a designated lane for launching and one for loading.   

On 4/4/2021 at 11:35 AM, Fisherman said:

If you need a Ford with back up assist, then take up a different hobby or go practice at Walmart.

Ha ha ha!  good one! My new F-250 does not have this! I didn't want it. My Wife was disappointed, but I said the last two trucks had it and I never considered using it! No way I am backing up using a little dial!

• Haha 2

Funny story.  My sister and BIL just bought a new to them boat.  A 23 bowrider.  They told me they were going to take it out on a test run out of Bronte sunday mid AM.  They are new to boats and launch ramps.  I warned them about it being prime salmon season and Sunday being a prime fishing day and that it would be a bit crazy down there.  They listened, thought they understood, and went anyway.  They now know what I was warning them about. I got a lot of "what a $hit show" texts from them.

Apologies to anyone else going in and out of Bronte on Sunday late AM.  We all had to learn some time!  Try to be nice, and I will try to give some more advice or maybe go with them next time.

Edited by Canuck
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BillM said:

Those short wheel based popup campers can be a handful 

I got a 4x8 landscape trailer years ago, I felt like an idiot, it was brutal compared to my 18 foot boat.  If you can't see it in the mirrors you are going straight 🤣