Boat launch etiquette

Did you bring an XL coffee and foot stool, might take a while to read.  Charge batteries before leaving home,  if you have muffs, do a quick start to make sure it starts at the launch.  Put all your fishing gear into the boat in the parking lot.  Put plug in boat.  Undo all straps except winch( depends on launch).  If you need a Ford with back up assist, then take up a different hobby or go practice at Wmart.  Launch, and get the heck out of the way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you see someone trying to launch or retrieve his boat that appears to lack experience, don't sit and criticize him but go over and offer some advice or even offer do it for him.

Too many people forget they were new and inexperienced at boating at one time themselves but would rather sit back and ridicule others rather than offering to help.

Edited by lew
  • Like 17

I'm with Lew.  My biggest pet peeve is people that sit around and criticize, yell at and or hassle people that clearly don't know what they are doing rather than offer assistance.  My second biggest pet peeve at boat launches is guys that have egos so large that they can't accept help when they clearly need it.

• Like 2

Just have your crepe in the boat before you hit the launch. 

I really really enjoy watching the guy with his boat in the water still on the trailer proceed to put the cooler, the ropes, bumpers, tubing gear, then text his buddies that he’s on the way and then launch the boat, only to park it on the launch side of the dock rather than the opposite side out of the way while he goes and parks the car and then waits for his kids to get into the boat. 

sigh...

or last year, a crew of folks at chemong launch were putting their dinghy in full of fishing gear. They threw it up literally right beside the ramp so close that all of their fishing rods sticking out were in the way of the ramp. I just proceeded to back in missing all of their gear by an inch. Then when I got out to let the boat out I grabbed their rods and moved them to the side for them, they still didn’t understand what I was doing even while I picked up their fishing rods.

• Haha 1

Well just this am we had a Charter proceed to back in block the launch and prep his boat .I was not impressed as he should no better But he didn't care 1 but that he was being a dik. Same happened on the way out . This.cat and his buddy pulled the boat  out just enough that the trailer and boat have enough room to walk around and proceed to take all the gear off and get there poop in a group ..and they wonder y people snap. Common sense is very common.

4 hours ago, porkpie said:

I'm with Lew.  My biggest pet peeve is people that sit around and criticize, yell at and or hassle people that clearly don't know what they are doing rather than offer assistance.  My second biggest pet peeve at boat launches is guys that have egos so large that they can't accept help when they clearly need it.

Well I'll go on the flip side of the coin and maybe the unknowing should spend 10 minutes asking the knowing what they should be doing.

• Like 1

with a charter it is probably deliberate I would say! Trying to tick people off so they stay away from "their" spot. These guys spend enough time on the water, they definitely know better (and will probably be the first one to criticize you if you don't get out of their way)

5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Well I'll go on the flip side of the coin and maybe the unknowing should spend 10 minutes asking the knowing what they should be doing.

Or, you know, people could just be better. I think I’ll stick with my plan.

• Like 2

Just because you have CHARTER on your boat means nothing.

I had a couple in front of me at Rosedale launch struggling. 25 ft boat they just picked up at second marina to east of Rosedale launch.

I'm in hurry to get home and to work but I wait a bit. They had the worst loading condition heavy current and howling wind and trailer way to far in water.

So I go over ask if they need help. Husband driving boat little reluctant but agrees. I get wife to pull truck ahead get boat loaded all good.

By the time he got back to launch I had my boat load and just climbing out.

He was amazed and want explanation , I told him about my work thing and that I would be back tomorrow the time I would be launching and time I would be loading.

Next day he was waiting for me went threw the full deal. Ran into from time to time for few years. Always said thank you just a great guy that need a little help.   

• Like 5

That's nice of u Garnet

but u kinda missed the point . This was a charter putting his boat in the water with 2 of his crew . The wind and the current wasn't affecting his boat parked in front of the launch while he prepared his boat blocking the launch instead of doing it in a staging area .

You need a system and a bit of practice

I have my boat ready, untie except for winch line but loosen it a bit and relock.

Back in till the boat floats, stop and go unclip it, line is ready so pull it back far enough on the dock so somebody else can get a start as I go park. Get in the boat and leave.

I know exactly how deep to back my trailer in the water to get the boat back on the bunks and in line.

Side guides are a must for easy on. Winch it tight, safety tie and leave.

Now my safety chain story.

Remember around 7 years ago the OPP lost their boat off the trailer in the intersection in Barrie.

The next week I was loading in town here and a couple OPP guys were watching me winch up and asked if I needed a hand...nice of them but I declined and they watched me put the safety chain on after I had the winch tight. One said, oh..thats a good idea...I kinda grinned and it was all I could do to not mention their buddies in Barrie should have thought of it last week

Anyway, we don't have many launch crowds here but just be prepared and practiced to get it done

• Like 1

Oh ya, I remember that one.  Then there was another "almost one" when I saw them driving west on Cundles crossing Sunnidale.  There's a bit of a whoop de do right in the intersection and that boat, came up off the trailer by at least a foot.  No transom ties, just the winch cable holding it.  Miraculously the boat landed right back on the trailer. 

3 hours ago, Garnet said:

Here in Ontario you can have a sign on your boat for $50 at the sign shop.

Doesn't mean you can launch or load boat. Does not mean you can find or catch fish.

It just means you have $50.

Well if you have a sign, then you have $50 less, lol and everyone knows you're a vegan.

I'm with Bill...drives my mad when people are messing around on the ramp. I was waiting to get out at Crystal Beach's double ramp once and the two boats were taking forever. I tied up on the backside of the dock, hopped in the truck and split the difference between them. I was out before either one but even by self, I can load or unload my Ranger in seconds.

• Like 2

BEFORE launching have your boat ready, cooler, thermos, bait, rods, everything in the boat.  Cover off, straps off and ready to get wet.  Have your buddy man the lines and slide it into the water and have him walk it down the dock so the next guy can launch.  Park your truck walk back get in and go.

Nothing worse than the guy that just launched his boat sitting in it trying to get it started or worse - dealing with dead batteries.  Move your boat out of the way!  

I watched a couple of guys at the LaSalle launch on Detroit River and there were about 6 guys in the line waiting to launch.  They paid the lady and pulled ahead and started to back down the launch and stopped short.  Both guys got out and starting peeling the cover off, and taking straps off.....and then taking rods out of the truck and putting them into the boat.  Several of the guys in line just lost it on them - never a dull moment.

Last pet peeve are jet Skiers that do not wait in line like the rest of us.  

• Haha 2

To save a lot of issues just remember the old saying 

You can't fix stupid 

Typically we have major issues in the end of Spring and end of Summer when people put their crafts in or out for the year. After a few times of being verbally abused after offering to help I just sit back and enjoy the show. Last fall I felt bad for the wife as she was taking a lot of verbal abuse from the dumbass who had a lot of anger and no brains. 

Again, "You can't fix stupid "

• Like 1