4 stroke annual maintenance costs?

For you guys running 4 stroke OB’s, are your annual maintenance costs somewhat reasonable? Does winterizing take much more than 2 strokes? I’m assuming I’ll change required but no fogging? 
Do they self drain when out of the water so there’s no freeze/expansion issues? I like to run to November. 

Still running the original spark plugs in my 2007 x 275 Verado. She's on her 2nd fine fuel filter and 5th course one in the water separator. I've skipped a few years on oil / filter changes, pending usage and always check the lower unit oil. Mine's almost 2 gallons of engine oil ($120) and almost 2 quarts of lower gear box oil ($36). Oil filter 15 bucks at best.

Lower unit all the way down self drains. Next outing don't just dump it off the trailer and hit the key, let it soak in the lake for a few minutes first. Other than the last few years I've Musky fished until we couldn't break the ice at the ramp anymore in December.

• Like 1

Pretty much what Wayne said,  my F40 takes 2 litres of 10W30 oil, about 1/2 litre of lower gear oil.  Water runs out when vertical.  But I do the same, let the motor sit in the water for a minute before starting, lets water up into the impeller pump.

• Like 1

My manual says to pull the plugs and fog.  So I do that.  
One time my motor was hard to start after a lot of damp weather. So I have been putting gas stabil in every tank.  Then it’s in the carb for the winter too.  I use my fish finder run time to tell me when to change engine oil/lower unit oil.  I have a log book for all engine, boat and trailer maintenance.  

• Like 1

agreed...easy peasy. I have no mechanical skills but winterize it myself. Like others said..I change the upper oil and lower oil, run stabilizer through it for a few minutes, change the oil filter and I also pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil in there. Been doing that every year for 7 years and have never had an issue. Going to replace impeller this year just in case, but these are things a 2 stroke would need as well (due to lack of skill I will pay someone to do impeller)

• Like 1

I watched a couple utubes on changing impellers. Bought the kit today and going to tackle it myself.

Other than oil and filter a 2 would be same as 4 except you don't need 2 stroke oil

On 4/5/2021 at 10:09 PM, Dara said:

I watched a couple utubes on changing impellers. Bought the kit today and going to tackle it myself.

Other than oil and filter a 2 would be same as 4 except you don't need 2 stroke oil

Just have patience when lining up the shifter and you should be fine.

How to videos are a great resource

• 2 weeks later...

Got it done. It runs and pumps water...never put it in gear though   gotta try that.

I saw another vid on it and the guy used a ratchet strap to hold the bottom end and pull it up slow.

That really helped lining stuff up and getting the speedo hose back on

5 hours ago, akaShag said:

What's a two-stroke?  😉

I know...I’m a bum. I only have old stuff. 

I just upgraded to a 1995. I hope to have the scratch to go a 4 stroke in another year or 2. Or an Etec. Something that runs cleaner and less fuel.

I have to wait until

a) I get a better job

b) this current market madness settled

c) the models start resembling my old one or my airbrush skills get better...I’ll tell the wife that my “winter rebuild” made it sound different and made it smoke less (Kidding, she’s been asking why I don’t buy a new one. Yeah, I know...I’m too Scottish and don’t want payments. I don’t know where my job is heading.) 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman