DONT EAT THE SMELT

misfish

Brian, is that you doing a cameo as the man narrating that clip?  😁

I see that sign on the wall:  WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED.  Say it quickly...........

I am GLAD we have a guideline in this province for eating sportfish.  I do consult it from time to time, especially if I am fishing a new-to-me area and intend to catch a meal or two.  Hmmm, Quinte walleye: mercury, mirex, PCB, insecticides and dioxin, yum yum!!!

I am guessing that the MNRF is NOT responsible for advising the public about consumption limits for commercially caught fish, but that's just a guess.

Doug

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Has the situation improved a bit since 2021? Thankfully, thanks to collaborative efforts, the Michigan Smelt Dipping Association reports healthy smelt populations and an exciting season ahead. This means a boon for the ecosystem and the potential for fresh, local seafood dishes, like pan roasted swordfish, to grace dinner tables once again.

Edited by Joe Suarez

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

In the early 2000s I worked/produced a guide by the MNR,  Eating Ontario Sport Fish. I’m sure It was done for a few years and then they stoped printing it. Unless they have it digitally now. 

Yep:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/guide-eating-ontario-fish

I have used this guide pretty extensively over the years. If memory serves me, it started in the 80s (paper copies of course)

Doug

• Like 1