Looking for advice from any painting experts

I've been painting my townhouse slowly over the winter and have a question for any painting pro's. Everything is finished except for the baseboards coming down from upstairs. My question is how do I go about painting the baseboards and not get any paint on the carpeted stairs? Thanks in advance for any responses. 

Apply carpet runner plastic (comes in a roll)it is self sticking and used when remodelers are going to be walking on the carpet. The correct answer though is to remove paint and reinstall like Brian said. 

Art

I tried the trowel trick once, worked well until I got a little paint on the trowel. I would use plastic, use a trowel to gently push the plastic under the trim nice and neat then paint the trim, that will keep any paint off the carpet. 

• Like 2

I would have to see a picture first to give you a better idea of how I would do it.  Like to know how thick the carpet is and how far up it goes on the baseboard.  Don’t use a trowel.  Made that mistake once.  You have to be careful not to place stuff under the baseboard and paint away cause paint will find a way through.  White paint on coloured carpet will show and if not cleaned up right away we’ll you better get the scissors out.  If you can’t remove the baseboard like you said I would just eye ball it and do your best.  No heavy paint on the brush and have a few spare wet clothes on standby.  I use a good quality latex acrylic semi gloss on the jobs I do.  Good luck

They make carpet shields for painting.......if you have any OLD Venetian blinds just slide them over the carpet and under the molding and paint away. Remove them once the paint is DRY. If you look here you can get about 18' of these Carpet Shields for around $4........they clean right off with water if you use a latex paint.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dynamic-carpet-shields-3-foot-strips-6-pack-/1000152180