New trolling plate may need adjustments

Raycaster

Last year I fell in love trolling Lake Ontario for Salmon/Trout. Fairly poor results but with the help of members I have a list of suggestions to vastly improve this year.

I only have a Legend 16’ with Mercury Bigfoot 25hp so weather is a big consideration for available days. I also have a Minn Kota 80 terrova.

Anyways, even though the engine is only 25hp getting down to 2.4 mph especially with the current is tough. I have used a home made drift sock that worked fine but I recently grabbed a trolling plate (happy trolling)on kijiji for and awesome price. Its in new condition and SOLID (not tin, thick aluminum) BUT its the Large model. 

My question is can I run the plate at 45 degrees instead of cutting it down? It appears to have 45 degree position that could save me from cutting. I read on other forums that a plate too big will kill gas mileage and require the engine to run hot. Im really hoping to stay minimum throttle.

If I have to cut the plate  I will but it would be a shame. Of course I will test first.

3 hours ago, Raycaster said:

The engine purrs and runs great but throttling down towards 2 mph especially with the current is tough. Perhaps the prop Is the wrong pitch or something but the install was simple so will see. Not sure if Hamilton Bayfront launch is open to give it a try.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bay Front is open... was down there today

On 3/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, Fisherman said:

Is it the right size for that motor is the first question.  Can't hurt to run it at the half position.  Otherwise cut it down in small increments.

I have seen when some guys cut it down, they used a hole saw to put a large hole opposite the through the hub exhaust, looked like a good ideal I thought for cooling

• 1 month later...