Pidgeon Lake Alberta

Old Ironmaker

A business trip starting April 15th will have me at Pidgeon Lake Alberta for as long as I wish to be there once the business is complete. A tad more than an hour north of Red Deer and the same time south of Edmonton. Anyone here fished the area? Any info is greatly appreciated. I will be fishing solo when I we have finished our business because the associate I am going to be with would rather spend the off day in the West Edmonton Mall than fish pristine waters in the shadow of the Rockies. OK bud, you can tell me all about the Gap store on the flight back. Actually I usually switch pre booked seats because I usually have had it with business associates I have never met before by the time the business portion of a trip is over. No need to listen to stories about the food court and their grand childrens first steps or suffer through the 1252 family photos all the way from Edmonton to Toronto Pearson. Or God forbid get teamed up with a millenial. Sometimes it is a chore for me to be pleasant, I try, I really do.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 1

It's been many, many years since I fished Pigeon Lake. The last time I was on the lake was an annual Ice Fishing fund raiser. It was held the last weekend of April yearly and there was still 3' of ice. Pickup trucks driving everywhere. 

As far as Rocky Mountains... good luck. I don't recall being able to see them from anywhere in Leduc area, Edmonton either. 

West Edmonton Mall is actually quite a tourist attraction. 

Edit to add: just ckecked some old pictures... no mountains visible form there. 

Check Google maps... some fella has 360° picture... oh ya all ice covered. Lol . Just like the last time I was there on the Last weekend of April.

Edited by nofish4me

I was having artistic license when I mentioned the Rockies. I only saw the Rockies when in BC once. I checked the weather for Red Deer and Edmonton and yep good chance there is ice in April. But there will be plenty of water to wet a line on the ride to Alberta, I hope. IThe last time I was in a shopping mall was in eastern England on another business trip 15 years ago, they said at the time it was bigger than the mall in Edmonton. The Bluewater Mall. It was big for sure, Not my cup of tea. 

Thanks for the reply nofish.